DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FGU is an OPEN BETA?

First off I want to say that FG has always looked excellent. I have always wanted to use it, but the pricing and initial cost layout is what always kept me away (not that I can't afford it) and I have never quite reached the point of feeling comfortable enough. I have always wanted dynamic lighting for example, which is why I was excited about the opportunity to see FGU.

Now multiple times I have seen FGU referred to as an "open beta" which should mean exactly as it sounds like. OPEN. But as far as I can see, if you want to see what FGU does fully and as a DM (and the same has held true with FGC) you have to subscribe or buy an Ultimate license so you can run a game. Sure, you can find a DM that has Ultimate, but playing a game is not the same as DMing one. If this is incorrect, can someone point me to an actual OPEN BETA that would let me FULLY determine whether FGU is for me? I need to test it with a few players in a real game to know so even a time limited open beta would be welcome but I don't seem to see one.

This is not the definition of an OPEN beta in my mind and this is exactly the reason why I have never felt comfortable paying for FGC. Why as a company do you keep getting in your own way? I am not interested in buying a product unseen and tested. I need to know that this fits my group and play style before laying out the significant amount of money required to buy the additional 5e source material which I already own elsewhere btw. It's not a cost thing. It's a "does this fit and not waste my money" thing and for that I need an actual test drive with players.
    Last edited by Kiltedbear; April 8th, 2020 at 16:42.

Blog Entries
    Open does not equal free. So your definition of 'open beta' is not the one being used to describe FGU.

FGU was in a Closed Beta previously, only those who had purchased during the Kickstarter could access.

SmiteWorks has a 30 day no questions refund policy on everything in the FG Store, including FGU licenses. So you can try it for no risk for 30 days.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiltedbear View Post
    This is not the definition of an OPEN beta in my mind and this is exactly the reason why I have never felt comfortable paying for FGC. Why as a company do you keep getting in your own way? I am not interested in buying a product unseen and tested. I need to know that this fits my group and play style before laying out the significant amount of money required to buy the additional 5e source material which I already own elsewhere btw. It's not a cost thing. It's a "does this fit and not waste my money" thing and for that I need an actual test drive with players.
    The advantage for you of buying it now although it is not yet fully released that you get a discount of 10% now So, when you do not want to use it now until it is fully released then it can still be useful to buy it now due to that discount (as far as I understood the additional 10%-discount will not be there at release) The advantage for SmiteWorks is to have more beta testers

Moreover, when a computer game is in open beta then you normally still have to buy it, isn't it? (except MMORPGs maybe which choose the F2P option but that is normally independent of the state the game is in) The distinction to a closed beta was normally then that just a restricted amount of users were able to get a version of the game; it is the first time that I hear that the "open" in "open beta" means free
    Last edited by Kelrugem; April 8th, 2020 at 17:00.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Open does not equal free. So your definition of 'open beta' is not the one being used to describe FGU.

FGU was in a Closed Beta previously, only those who had purchased during the Kickstarter could access.

SmiteWorks has a 30 day no questions refund policy on everything in the FG Store, including FGU licenses. So you can try it for no risk for 30 days.
    Good lord, what makes you think that I want something for free?! I can see now that it's not the way the software is sold that is the crux of what bothers me about the way FG is sold. Although your response on the surface is factual and may be the reality of the way it is approached by the company, your insinuating that I want something for nothing is poor in tone and now things are quite clearer to me. This reply disappointments me, not in content but tone. Poor choice of words, sir.

Blog Entries
    Good lord, what makes you think that I want something for free?! I can see now that it's not the way the software is sold that is the crux of what bothers me about the way FG is sold. Although your response on the surface is factual and may be the reality of the way it is approached by the company, your insinuating that I want something for nothing is poor in tone and now things are quite clearer to me. This reply disappointments me, not in content but tone. Poor choice of words, sir.
    I'm sorry you misinterpreted my tone. I'll let others continue any discussion you would like to have so that I am not misunderstood again.

Happy Gaming.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It's a "does this fit and not waste my money" thing and for that I need an actual test drive with players.
    Smiteworks has a 30 day money back guarantee. On top of that you can play most major systems without investing a dime beyond the license. So a refundable $10 ultimate subscription will get you the ability to perform an actual test drive with your players for one month. If you'd like to test drive books and "DLC" type options, feel free to do so, and if your expectations aren't met, request a refund. I think that's a pretty reasonable way to see if the software works for you, even if it isn't a "cost thing."

Lord Entrails is a highly respected member of this community and is known for bending over backwards (and then some) to be helpful to everyone. But he's not an employee of Smiteworks (to my knowledge).

Wow. I don't understand why you took Lord Entrails answer as an attack. I've re-read what you asked, and he answered your question. I don't think he insuniated anything in his reply. He basically explained that what you were describing is not what an OPEN beta is.

Now multiple times I have seen FGU referred to as an "open beta" which should mean exactly as it sounds like. OPEN. But as far as I can see, if you want to see what FGU does fully and as a DM (and the same has held true with FGC) you have to subscribe or buy an Ultimate license so you can run a game. Sure, you can find a DM that has Ultimate, but playing a game is not the same as DMing one.
    He replied to your statement explaining that OPEN beta does not mean FREE beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Anyway don't let any misunderstanding deter you from using Fantasy Grounds. It is a great program once you get passed the learning curve (and there are forum chats and videos that will help with that, plus the user manual). And with a 30 day money back option, if you don't like it simply get a refund. Happy gaming!

OK folks. The written word can be easily misconstrued. So please let's try to read things keeping that in perspective. If you don't have anything constructive to add to the discussion then please move on. Thanks.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I am not an employee of SmiteWorks, just another user.

Tone and connotations can be difficult to convey in a written medium. Especially with just a few sentences etc.

Hopefully we can all move onto more productive discussions and assume everyone has the best of intentions. Now is a challenging time, we don't need to have any more challenges with our shared hobby.

Thread Information