FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Impromptu mapping

Greetings!

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. If not, mods please move to the appropriate location.

Over the weekend, my players (in ToA) did the Pterafolk nest at Mbala. However, there was no pre-made cave map, etc., for that encounter. At the time, I had no idea how to do that on the fly, and as of this moment, still don't.

So, looking on YT for some learning material, I happened across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoxEyNzFoio which demonstrates exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.

Yet, I'm distressed that I can't locate the resources used to accomplish the task as demonstrated in the video.

I did back the FGU whilst it was on KS, if that helps determine anything. I did look through my assets and I see the Saz, Shockbolt, and Torstans assets packs. Shockbolt has a cave floor that is workable, but no walls, and Torstans has no walls.

Am I missing something or am I going about things the wrong way?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

//s// Jon C. Munson II

Moved from the Armory. The Armory is where people share their FG creations.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for moving this to the correct forum!

Well, did I post this in the wrong place altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by JMunsonII View Post
    Well, did I post this in the wrong place altogether?
    Good Day JMunsonII
    Damned had a brilliant shortcut for a quickie map. Just import a blank background and mask the entire thing, then just use the unmask to show rooms and halls and such. Since you mentioned caves, you can hold down the Shift key as you unmask and you can draw whatever shape you desire. I personally would just send the players to a quick Bio Break and make an internet search for a suitable map (There are tons out there) throw it in the campaign images folder, then put a grid on it to make it fit the size you need.

Thank you Bonkon. I'll have a try at the shift-draw as I didn't know about that. And also for the tip about the maps widely available.

I take it the LOS drawing tools are still under development?

Good Day JMunsonII
    My pleasure, as far as LOS is concerned that is in FGU, which I have not played with so I cannot answer that, but the Fog of War should limit the players sight anyway so only unmask what they can see

In the Unity version at least (haven't tried it in FGC) Shift+click just hides an area. Click or shift-click only applies a rectangle...

Good Day JMunsonII
    Hmmm, looks like they changed some mapping commands in FGU, sorry I cannot expand on that but I hope someone can pop in here soon and help. I hope they did not remove the unmask drawing, or if they did it is only temporary as they finish the Beta.

About impromptu mapping (sorry, I didn't the full discussion here now), see here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...+with+Tabletop and especially https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ages+as+the+GM You have to drag&drop the asset in some image window of the drawing panel and then just draw with that asset (you can also use the circle or rectangle mode and so on, e.g. to draw a circle of lava using the lava asset )

Thread Information