5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 71 of 96 First ... 2161697071727381 ... Last
    I did a bit of searching, but I'm not finding what I'm looking for, so I thought I'd ask here:

I'm running a pre-written module for two separate groups. One group is a couple of months behind the other, and I'm heavily modifying the pre-written module to add more interesting content to it, including maps, npcs, images, stories, all that.

Exporting each individual record (every item, every token, every image, every npc, etc) is not only tedious, it's imprecise. Some stuff gets lost in transit.

Is there any way to export a whole association group without clicking and dragging every individual item in that group?

I'd love to have a way to export whole groups together. Thanks!!
    Last edited by ddavison; June 21st, 2022 at 14:31. Reason: removed suspicious link
    A.J.

“It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy. "It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?"
    "But you shall meet me, dear one," said Aslan.
    "Are -are you there too, Sir?" said Edmund.
    "I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

You can either export all NPC's (for example) by ticking the NPC box or individual ones by dragging them into the export window. You cannot export a group of NPCs.

If you are simply editing an existing module all of the edits that you make will be stored in a file which has the same name as the module that you are running in the moduledb folder inside the campaign that you modified it. So, for example, if you were running Curse of Strahd then inside the campaign folder for the first group of players you'll find a folder called moduldb and inside that you'll find a file called D&D Curse of Strahd.xml. You can copy this file from one campaign into the same folder in another campaign and it will have all of your edits in it and when you open the Curse of Strahd module in that other campaign the moduledb file will over-ride the official module.

However this file will not contain anything that you have added yourself - such as a new image or an item or NPC that you have created from scratch rather than just edited from an existing item or NPC. For those items you will need to export them. Since these are things that you have created wholly within the campaign you can just click on the NPC or item tick box and only those items will be exported.

What you can't do is export your edits if you simply edit an existing entry in a published module. (This will be why you are seeing stuff get 'lost in transit').

You can also have a third campaign where you do all of your creating (again by this I mean not editing an existing module but adding things such as items, NPCs, images etc) and export those things into a module which can then be opened in any campaign you like.

Be sure that you are backing up all of your campaigns regularly because when you start doing this kind of thing it is very easy to get confused or mixed up and end up with a mess.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    What you can't do is export your edits if you simply edit an existing entry in a published module. (This will be why you are seeing stuff get 'lost in transit').
    So... this is my most commonly used method of modifying or creating NPCs and items... I drag and drop (for example) the Drow Mage entry to duplicate it, and then modify it to my liking... so those won't go in the export, even if I drag them in?

Thanks... I need to be more intentional about what I'm doing. I'll try to make fewer edits and run more stock NPCs, I guess. I made the mistake of using a high powered rolling method for my PCs and their stats are artificially inflated, which means most of the encounters in the module (Yes, Curse of Strahd) are no challenge to them. Learned my lesson on that one... #StandardArrayForever.

Thanks for your reply. I sincerely appreciate your time.
    A.J.

“It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy. "It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?"
    "But you shall meet me, dear one," said Aslan.
    "Are -are you there too, Sir?" said Edmund.
    "I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by merkvah View Post
    So... this is my most commonly used method of modifying or creating NPCs and items... I drag and drop (for example) the Drow Mage entry to duplicate it, and then modify it to my liking... so those won't go in the export, even if I drag them in?
    No those export, since you made a copy of tem in your development campaign. But, say you edited a module story in your devl campaign, that would not export and the changes would be stored in the moduledb Mr Z mentioned.

Thanks... I need to be more intentional about what I'm doing. I'll try to make fewer edits and run more stock NPCs, I guess. I made the mistake of using a high powered rolling method for my PCs and their stats are artificially inflated, which means most of the encounters in the module (Yes, Curse of Strahd) are no challenge to them. Learned my lesson on that one... #StandardArrayForever.

Thanks for your reply. I sincerely appreciate your time.
    I would consider using a development campaign, and making copies and then modifications of everything you are changing (you don't need to copy things you are not changing, just open those from the adventure in the play campaign). Then you can export and open the module in both play campaigns. But you do have to be really intentional on wat you are doing. Understanding that copied items export and modified ones don't is essential.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

How do I move around a map without a 3-button mouse? Most of my friends use laptops and have no third mouse button available. I tried holding Ctrl, Shift and Alt, but none did the trick. I know that it's possible to use the small yellow cross at the botton right of the image, but it's not a great UX, it's not very precise. Is there some option I can toggle?

Left click (or whatever you do on a laptop to left click) and hold whilst the cursor is over the small gold icon on the bottom right of the map and move the mouse (or whatever you do on a laptop to simulate moving the mouse) around to move the map in various directions. To zoom on and out hold down the CTRL key whilst left clicking on the gold icon and move the mouse up and down. Left click and hold anywhere on the map (except over the gold icon) and move the mouse to move the image window around. Hold CTRL and left click anywhere except the gold icon and move the mouse in any direction to resize the image window.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

New video added on importing and exporting characters. Link in the first post.

Hi, I noticed that in the video, when you imported from DnDBeyond, you used the setting for FG Classic, not Unity. AFAIK, importing the inventory will not work correctly when you import from a FGC.XML. Importing using the FGU setting works better - though it still pays to do a quick doublechec
    k

Quote Originally Posted by ppcmiranda View Post
    How do I move around a map without a 3-button mouse? Most of my friends use laptops and have no third mouse button available. I tried holding Ctrl, Shift and Alt, but none did the trick. I know that it's possible to use the small yellow cross at the botton right of the image, but it's not a great UX, it's not very precise. Is there some option I can toggle?
    as it happens so often in FGU, there is an app for that: you can find on the Foundry under the URL https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/208/view. It is paid, the price is 395 coins. I am not linked in anyway to the maker of this extension. Of course, the usual caveats apply: ExtensionsAreRisk (tm), and so on

Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    Hi, I noticed that in the video, when you imported from DnDBeyond, you used the setting for FG Classic, not Unity. AFAIK, importing the inventory will not work correctly when you import from a FGC.XML. Importing using the FGU setting works better - though it still pays to do a quick doublechec
    k
    I didn't realise there was such an option. I only used it for the first time during the making of that video.

Edit: I've now revised the video and uploaded a new version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDq6...28Zacchaeus%29
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; June 27th, 2022 at 19:13.

Thread Information