DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Adding Traits/Actions to NPCs

When clicking the "Add Item" button to add a trait/action, etc. to an unlocked NPC record, what determines where the new item will be inserted?

It doesn't seem controllable, but it definitely isn't always at the bottom of the section... Is there a way to force it to be on the top/bottom/after last item clicked?

It would be great to know how this works or have a way to quickly (and unobtrusively) be able to reorder these.

You don't mention the ruleset as each may have a slight variation on this. Most are not ordered and just add a blank entry to the end. I have seen others sort the entries based on the name of the trait in alphanumerical order. In the code you can specify the filter and order by either using the XML tags or using LUA script code to accomplish this. You can see some examples in 5e, 3.5e, and CoreRPG.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    You don't mention the ruleset as each may have a slight variation on this. Most are not ordered and just add a blank entry to the end. I have seen others sort the entries based on the name of the trait in alphanumerical order. In the code you can specify the filter and order by either using the XML tags or using LUA script code to accomplish this. You can see some examples in 5e, 3.5e, and CoreRPG.
    So sorry.... D&D 5e...

I'm not doing anything with the code, just clicking the "Add Item" plus sign button. Usually (80%+?) the new blank item will be at the end, but sometimes it's in the middle somewhere. I would like to know how it behaves so when I add new items, I can put them where I want, rather than needing to reorder them manually (which is a bit tedious/time-consuming, especially with spellcasters).

I would expect it to just always be at the end, but it's not... which leads me to believe it might be possible to insert where I want instead of at the end... I just can't figure out how FGU chooses where the new blank item will go.

Sincere thanks for your time.

Well in 5e there is a order number tracked and I'm thinking the behavior of removing an action causes it to fill in the empty number slot before continuing back at the end of the list. This is what allows the reorder button to work and sort them after dropping the entry. I believe that is what you are seeing.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

This order number is not shown and is hidden away in the code.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

OK. Thanks for the reply. Tiny "Move Up" and "Move Down" arrows like in Advanced Story records could be useful in NPC stat blocks.

Maybe, something to consider for the next expansion in that area
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

On the Actions tab, when you create a new "section" that section will have it's own add button if I remember correctly. Not able to look at it right now so it may have changed with the update and I did not notice.

EDIT: I completely overlooked that are referring to NPCS. There is an extension that adds an Actions tab to NPCs (Kit'N"Kabootle???). I think the creator of that extension is still working on updates for his stuff so it may not work. I mostly use it for when PCs have NPC sidekicks, followers, etc. that they control so it's more like using a normal character sheet.
    Last edited by claedawg; March 21st, 2024 at 16:46.

Blog Entries
    FYI, the 5E NPC Maker extension allows you to change the order number of actions. But as said, normally the order number is hidden.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I'm still a huge fan of the new drag and drop windowlist entry and want to see it in more areas. Seems like a huge success for those like me with a bit of OCD about things appearing in a certain order.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

Thread Information