DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Weighted Rollable Tables

Hi all,

New user of Fantasy Ground here. Still learning the ins and outs of everything and really enjoying the program.

I was wondering if there is a way to add in a roll table with weighted values. I run a 10-based system that uses custom-made d20 and d30 dice to increase the likelihood of median results. For instance, on the d20, 1, 2, 9, and 10 appears 5% of the time, 3 and 8 10% of the time, and 4, 5, 6, 7 each appear 15% of the time. I was able to achieve this in Roll 20 with the d20 using by assigning a percentage value and was looking for a way to do the same in FG, preferably in MoreCore or CoreRPG.

Sorry if this has been asked before and answered. I did a search but came up with nothing.

EDIT: Sorry, I should add that I did find one work-around in FGU, which was to use labels to add text to the chat. So, say if I rolled a 15, the chat will still show 15, but it will add text that says "You rolled a 7". Which is functional. Just curious if there's a better way to do it than this, so I can really have FGU see that 15 on a d20 as "7".

Thank you!
    Chris
    Last edited by Indus101; April 7th, 2020 at 04:51.

Assuming this can be done in FGU (as it could be done in FGC) - you can make custom dice results (displaying in the chat window).

Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post197855

Also, I believe MoreCore has some examples of "funky" dice (including a d30), but I haven’t checked in a while.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    But he wants the physical dice to be weighted.
    So different sides have different odds of coming up.
    Based off the edit to post #1 I think the OP may be OK with just changing the result displayed in chat, not the physical 3d dice. But I could be wrong...

@Indus101 - try the attached extension. This creates a new custom dice called d2001 (just a name I picked). This adds a custom die to the right-click menu on the d20 and you can also roll using the /die chat command, /die 2d2001 (for example). The physical die will still show 1-20, but the code in the extension will change the result shown in chat.

The code I've used is as follows:
    Code:
    <customdie name="d2001">
    	<model>d20</model>
    	<menuicon>customdice</menuicon>
    	<script>
    		function onValue(result)
    			if result == 11 then
    				return 3;
    			elseif result == 12 then
    				return 8;
    			elseif result == 13 then
    				return 4;
    			elseif result == 14 then
    				return 5;
    			elseif result == 15 then
    				return 6;
    			elseif result == 16 then
    				return 7;
    			elseif result == 17 then
    				return 4;
    			elseif result == 18 then
    				return 5;
    			elseif result == 19 then
    				return 6;
    			elseif result == 20 then
    				return 7;					
    			else
    				return result;
    			end
    		end
    	</script>
    </customdie>
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 7th, 2020 at 12:19.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Here's an example roll of 100d2001:

Attached Images Attached Images

I've achieved a similar effect by creating a table and assigning extra rolls to certain outcomes for Random Encounters (see this module https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...tor&highlight=)

What I did was to have the table roll a 1d100, but for events I wanted to be more common (i.e. to make common creatures appear more frequently) I assigned them a larger range. So a roll of 5-9 might give you a goblin encounter, while only a roll of 99 will give you a green dragon encounter. This works, but becomes tricky once you have the table populated and want to adjust values. If you decide you want to give an event a larger probability, say expand the range from 5-9 (5%) to 5-12 (8%), you then need to change the other events that you had previously set to occur in the 10-12 range, which might cause you to end up having to change the whole table. There are ways of mitigating that as well, but hopefully this is of some use to you.

@Trenloe - Yes, this looks like exactly what I need. Thank you very much, I'm going to mess with this as soon as I get some coffee in me (just waking up now and seeing responses).

@Damned - Sorry, I wasn't clear in my op. A chat window display is fine -- I don't intend or need to change the actual numbering on the 3d dice. I just wanted the die to display the weighted result directly in chat, rather than me having to add a "This is really a 7" line to each possible result.

Thank you all for the help. There is a wealth of resources here and I'm just sticking my toe into all now. Been messing around a lot in MoreCore and watching Damian's tutorial coding videos on Youtube, so may be posting more questions in the future!

Thank you,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by lavoiejh View Post
    I've achieved a similar effect by creating a table and assigning extra rolls to certain outcomes for Random Encounters (see this module https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...tor&highlight=)

What I did was to have the table roll a 1d100, but for events I wanted to be more common (i.e. to make common creatures appear more frequently) I assigned them a larger range. So a roll of 5-9 might give you a goblin encounter, while only a roll of 99 will give you a green dragon encounter. This works, but becomes tricky once you have the table populated and want to adjust values. If you decide you want to give an event a larger probability, say expand the range from 5-9 (5%) to 5-12 (8%), you then need to change the other events that you had previously set to occur in the 10-12 range, which might cause you to end up having to change the whole table. There are ways of mitigating that as well, but hopefully this is of some use to you.
    Thank you lavoiejh, I'm going to check this out.

Trenloe, that script worked perfect. Thanks again!

Thread Information