Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

First FGU game not that great

It seemed to be set up right but players kept getting disconnected without noticing. There were times some of them saw red question marks instead of the tokens, maps or pictures. They couldn’t see the monsters and clicking the hide/in hide button didn’t do anything. We could usually solve the problems with them disconnecting and restarting FG, but it takes ten-fifteen minutes for them to join and be able to select their PCs, so it’s really frustrating when it happens mid battle.

I like the look of the YouTube videos, but it seems on reflection they’re all fantasy classic. People keep saying the two versions are not that different, but I’m not sure how true that is - my experience is very different from what I see there. Ultimately, it doesn’t really matter how clever the program is if the players can’t see anything with it.

We’ll try another couple of weeks. Hopefully the upgrades will increase stability. 🙁

FGU is early access. If you see desyncs we often just drop the client and reconnect. Not ideal but again early access. It is more time consuming but we are enjoying the campaigns we use it in.

Blog Entries
    There was an update late last evening. Did you and every player update right before your game started? What version is showing in everyone's launch screen?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

FGU is supposed to help with the load in memory that our computers have when we load larger games and support things like animation better in engine. It will eventually give us a lot of other great things, but for now, it's p much spaghetti code. Just go play normal FG for now like the rest of us unless you wanna help bug test for the devs.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpunk157 View Post
    FGU is supposed to help with the load in memory that our computers have when we load larger games and support things like animation better in engine. It will eventually give us a lot of other great things, but for now, it's p much spaghetti code. Just go play normal FG for now like the rest of us unless you wanna help bug test for the devs.
    We've been having no problems at all since switching from Lobby to LAN. Everything we've tried, works. (5E)

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    There was an update late last evening. Did you and every player update right before your game started? What version is showing in everyone's launch screen?
    We didn’t for this game. We have now for next week’s (the update happened shortly before we played and I couldn’t get on to everyone so figured we’d use the march 30 version, rather than lose time in the session starting with an update).

Sunday night we had a trial run which had seemed to work okay - slow to load but otherwise fine. I didn’t anticipate the problem of people dropping out mid game.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpunk157 View Post
    I’ve paid for FGU though. That doesn’t give me access to Fantasy Classic, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post
    We've been having no problems at all since switching from Lobby to LAN. Everything we've tried, works. (5E)
    We spent a couple of hours trying to get port forwarding to work on Friday/Saturday night (the user here called damned was extraordinarily helpful and generous with his time). There wasn’t much success though.

Quote Originally Posted by Relampago View Post
    FGU is early access. If you see desyncs we often just drop the client and reconnect. Not ideal but again early access. It is more time consuming but we are enjoying the campaigns we use it in.
    I like the look of it too. The problem really is how long it takes for a player to connect (5-10 mins generally from joining the game until they can select their PC token). When it happened for like the sixth time right in the middle of combat we called the game early and all logged off to update.

Fingers crossed that works for next week.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Geddes View Post
    I’ve paid for FGU though. That doesn’t give me access to Fantasy Classic, does it?
    No FGC is a different product.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information