5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last

Portions of windows sometimes blank

This was something that I believe was reported last year, but don't see it on the active bugs list...

Steps to reproduce the error
    Happens pretty randomly, so hard to recreate. Sometimes when opening a box (NPC, player, maybe others), sections of the box will be blank. Sometimes resizing and scrolling (even if there isn't a scroll bar) will fix it, sometimes that box is just unusable for that session. Closing and reopening the box does not help.

Any relevant information from the "console.log" file found in your FG Data directory.
    None

Ruleset(s) you are experiencing the issue(s) in.
    5e

Is this a newly FGU created campaign or one migrated from FGC?
    Newly created

What modules do you have loaded? Are any of these DLC from sources other than the FGU updater? (i.e. manually migrated or 3rd party content)
    3 deluxe core rulebooks, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Volo's Guide to Monsters, Eberron

Blog Entries
    Can you post a screenshot? Is this images or other window types?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Just tried to recreate it and couldn't, but I'll grab a screenshot when it happens again. One or more of the fields will disappear in the combat tracker, character sheet, or monster block - it's not images. When it happens, portions of the dialog boxes like I drew the red boxes around will be completely blank (just the background color of the box) - nothing visible or selectable. For items in the combat tracker, one monster may have its attack field blank, but other monsters of the same type will be okay. If it's in a monster or character sheet, it will be blank regardless of how the sheet is displayed and be messed up for the rest of the session (unless the resizing and spinning the scroll wheel on the mouse fixes it - not entirely sure that combination does it, but it does appear to have worked a couple of times)

Blank fields.png

Blog Entries
    There was a new networking update released.
    Everyone in your group should update to the newest build 2020-04-04
    If your FGU doesnt show that after updating you might have to uninstall and reinstall again from a new webinstaller.
    So long as you havent pointed your Data and Program files at the same folder manually that should be safe to do.

I am seeing this too quite a bit. Using the 5e theme and 2020-04-04. I can't recreate it but the next time it happens I will take a screenshot and post.

Sometimes closing the window and reopening it will fix it, sometimes scrolling the mouse wheel. Other times, only restarting FGU will fix it which is a bummer as a GM.

Seems like the GUI is pulling from a cache for generated graphics/elements and getting nothing? and there's no way to force it to refresh, but sometimes it will refresh? Sometimes clients can see the missing data and GM can't, sometimes its the other way around.

Either way random and unpredictable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jheidecker View Post
    I am seeing this too quite a bit. Using the 5e theme and 2020-04-04. I can't recreate it but the next time it happens I will take a screenshot and post.

Sometimes closing the window and reopening it will fix it, sometimes scrolling the mouse wheel. Other times, only restarting FGU will fix it which is a bummer as a GM.

Seems like the GUI is pulling from a cache for generated graphics/elements and getting nothing? and there's no way to force it to refresh, but sometimes it will refresh? Sometimes clients can see the missing data and GM can't, sometimes its the other way around.

Either way random and unpredictable.
    make sure everyone at the table is on the same 2020-04-04 build
    it also appears that Shaw is rolling out teh same security platform as Comcast/Cox/Xfinity and that is also impacting this...
    awesome another ISP doing it....

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    it also appears that Shaw is rolling out teh same security platform as Comcast/Cox/Xfinity and that is also impacting this...
    awesome another ISP doing it....
    I can probably rule that out for this specific issue. I have been testing with clients on my local LAN only and it's still happening. Not even wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by jheidecker View Post
    I can probably rule that out for this specific issue. I have been testing with clients on my local LAN only and it's still happening. Not even wireless.
    Using a cloud lobby, or using a lan game type? If a cloud lobby, then the traffic is exiting your lan, going to Smiteworks server on the internet, and the pulling a u-turn and coming back to your network.

Also, it is POSSIBLE to trigger networking issues even on a wired lan. I do get your point that it minimizes the likelihood of issues, but especially if there was a bug or misconfiguration in the network subsystem it may be that there were networking issues fixed that can manifest intermittently even in an ideal environment.

Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    Using a cloud lobby, or using a lan game type? If a cloud lobby, then the traffic is exiting your lan, going to Smiteworks server on the internet, and the pulling a u-turn and coming back to your network.

Also, it is POSSIBLE to trigger networking issues even on a wired lan. I do get your point that it minimizes the likelihood of issues, but especially if there was a bug or misconfiguration in the network subsystem it may be that there were networking issues fixed that can manifest intermittently even in an ideal environment.
    LAN, not cloud lobby. Got all clients on the new version and will update here if I can "catch" it, with screenshots and logs. Just trying to help.

Didn't take long to manifest. Screen shot and log attached. Anything else helpful I can provide? I can keep "catching" it if need be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information