DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Rules Cyclopedia, any thoughts on issues?

Hello, All

With the whole COVID-19 thing, I think I finally have our group agreeable to trying FG. Currently, we are playing a Basic game using the Rules Cyclopedia. I've done some messing around, but I think I may have it (kinda) working.

Before I spend too much time, I was wondering if anyone out there could think of any reasons why the 2e rules would be incompatible with Basic. I'm leaning toward an extension due to the fact that the DM wants to use 2e monsters and adventures.

I've identified there will need to be changes to the Ability modifiers, expanding for additional levels, turning mechanics may need to be adjusted, item adjustments for weight from coins to lbs, and the whole Class/Race thing (I have a couple of ideas on that). Of course, Kits would be removed.

My DM is an extreme newbie to FG, I've only run it a few times. So, it's likely going to be a "use what you need, then expand" experience.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Todd

I know it's possible to jury rig celestian's excellent 2e ruleset as you've described, but still holding out hope for a rulescycpopedia ruleset or extension. Good luck with your game!

Quote Originally Posted by tdewitt274 View Post
    Hello, All

With the whole COVID-19 thing, I think I finally have our group agreeable to trying FG. Currently, we are playing a Basic game using the Rules Cyclopedia. I've done some messing around, but I think I may have it (kinda) working.

Before I spend too much time, I was wondering if anyone out there could think of any reasons why the 2e rules would be incompatible with Basic. I'm leaning toward an extension due to the fact that the DM wants to use 2e monsters and adventures.

I've identified there will need to be changes to the Ability modifiers, expanding for additional levels, turning mechanics may need to be adjusted, item adjustments for weight from coins to lbs, and the whole Class/Race thing (I have a couple of ideas on that). Of course, Kits would be removed.

My DM is an extreme newbie to FG, I've only run it a few times. So, it's likely going to be a "use what you need, then expand" experience.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Todd
    It is certainly possible to put together an extension for the Rules Cyclopedia using the AD&D ruleset. Infact, I put together a skeleton extension so that someone could take it to do the serious work. It contains the very basics to get started with an example matrix entry (all the rest will need to be filled in) and removal of races (since class is your race). I've added the hooks needed for it into the AD&D 2E ruleset already for the matrix tweaks.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

This is great, I had been toying with the idea of switching our Old School Essentials game to the 2E setup (from morecore) if it was possible and I think that extension might do the trick.

Thank you celestian, I entered all the matrix entries, from 0 (Normal Man) to 36+.

Do you have some more pointers what needs to be changed to make the extension work? Besides from the oblivious like changing the character and NPCs sheets. I guess something similar as the matrix is needed for saving throws. And a way to reference them from the NPCs sheets. BECMI is using rather cryptic entries like "saves like F1" and such.

It would be awesome to see a functioning Cyclopedia extension built on top of 2E and all the cool things that 2E already does so well.

Quote Originally Posted by FlynnTheAvatar View Post
    Thank you celestian, I entered all the matrix entries, from 0 (Normal Man) to 36+.

Do you have some more pointers what needs to be changed to make the extension work? Besides from the oblivious like changing the character and NPCs sheets. I guess something similar as the matrix is needed for saving throws. And a way to reference them from the NPCs sheets. BECMI is using rather cryptic entries like "saves like F1" and such.
    Far as I know the saves in basic and AD&D are the same. The values might vary but those are set by class. Monsters might need a tweak and that data is avalable from the 2E ruleset (crack it open and look at the data_common_adnd.lua. The "aWarriorSaves" array is the one that contains the current save values for NPCs based on their HD.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

I am not sure if the attack matrix is working. I filled out the attack matrix up to level 36 (ac 19 to -20) and created a sample giant rat with 0 HD (THACO 20). But it keeps hitting a char with AC 10 every time.

You can see my version of the script at https://gitlab.com/FlynnTheAvatar/becmi. I will recreate the fork in a few days - until then I hope I have the saves for all classes entered.

Quote Originally Posted by FlynnTheAvatar View Post
    I am not sure if the attack matrix is working. I filled out the attack matrix up to level 36 (ac 19 to -20) and created a sample giant rat with 0 HD (THACO 20). But it keeps hitting a char with AC 10 every time.

You can see my version of the script at https://gitlab.com/FlynnTheAvatar/becmi. I will recreate the fork in a few days - until then I hope I have the saves for all classes entered.
    I recently implemented attack matrixes (for npcs) for a Hackmaster 4E mod and at least for me, just flipping the version flag to “1e” and changing aMatrix wasn’t enough. I made a ton of changes in the last three weeks so I can’t be sure, but I think there was an issue with getThaco in manager_action_attack not trying to use the matrix for npcs. You might need to look at that.

I also know becmi has a “wider” range of acs on the matrix than 1e, so it might be worth double-checking that the indexing is trying to operate on that wider range.

If it helps, you can take a look at my commits on https://github.com/drplote/FantasyGroundsHackmaster . I should have commit messages about editing attack matrixes which would help you narrow down my changes. It was a little different case though, too, because I wanted to use matrixes but not flip the version off of “2e”
    Last edited by Sterno; May 15th, 2020 at 02:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterno View Post
    I recently implemented attack matrixes (for npcs) for a Hackmaster 4E mod and at least for me, just flipping the version flag to “1e” and changing aMatrix wasn’t enough. I made a ton of changes in the last three weeks so I can’t be sure, but I think there was an issue with getThaco in manager_action_attack not trying to use the matrix for npcs. You might need to look at that.

I also know becmi has a “wider” range of acs on the matrix than 1e, so it might be worth double-checking that the indexing is trying to operate on that wider range.
    The code is setup to handle the 31 or so entries that becmi uses (1e has 21). If there is a bug around that someone will have to point me where the problem is.
    ---

Thread Information