FG Spreadshirt Swag

Coding damage dice re-rolls

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a way to code support for re-rolling damage dice that are impacted by feats like Flames of Phlegathos (re-roll 1s on a fire spell) or class abilities like the fighter's two handed weapon specialization (re-roll 1s and 2s).

I'm assuming the answer is "no", but wanted to ask just to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemanpat View Post
    Try looking here:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Fighting/page2
    And here:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Ones-and-Twos

let me know if this helps, if not i'll keep looking.
    That looks promising; thanks! I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedyn View Post
    Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a way to code support for re-rolling damage dice that are impacted by feats like Flames of Phlegathos (re-roll 1s on a fire spell) or class abilities like the fighter's two handed weapon specialization (re-roll 1s and 2s).

You can add reroll x to a weapon properties and it will reroll any damage dice that come up with x or less. There's no current way to reroll anything else.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Aedyn View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks to the people who researched potential solutions for spells. I discussed with my DM, and came to a compromise:

• Rolling 6d6 for a fire spell will on average give you a single roll of 1 to be re-rolled.
    • Re-rolling a 1 gives you an average benefit of 0-5 extra damage (further 1's are not rerolled), which averages out to 2.5.
    • Rather than re-rolling dice, apply a flat bonus based on this average at 6 dice (Staggering bonuses every 2 and 3 levels to prevent fractions, then re-starting the sequence again after 12d6):
      • 2d6: +1 damage
      • 5d6: +2
      • 7d6: +3
      • 10d6: +4
      • 12d6: +5

D8s use a different structure when the bonuses are applied, to best line up with the average evolution of the average re-rolled damage (+3.5 at 6d8, +7 at 12d8). Staggered every other level, with a quickfire every level over 11d8, 12d8 and then starting the sequence again at 13d8:

• 1d8: +1 damage
    • 3d8: +2
    • 5d8: +3
    • 7d8: +4
    • 9d8: +5
    • 11d8: +6
    • 12d8: +7

This averages out the fire damage re-rolls, while maintaining within a point of what the average re-roll would be. As it's easy to add a flat bonus to a spell's existing damage dice, this was the best option we could find, without adding multiple layers of manual re-rolls and HP adjustments based on saved/not saved. Until we get the functionality, hope this helps!
    Last edited by maxtlion; October 23rd, 2021 at 21:16.

Thread Information