DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Paralyzed stats effect

I had it come up in a game recently. We had a player become paralyzed as per the spell hold person. The effect according to the core rules makes a Dex mod -5 and is helpless. So we have a player whom is paralyzed and as a dex of 13 normally. This should make their AC -6 overall.

Instead it calculates it as -11 to the effected characters' AC. They are counted as helpless but that would still only be a -10. Anyone know where the extra -1 is coming from?

Initial dex doesn't matter. When you are paralyzed, you are treated as having a dex modifier of -5. Since AC is 10 + DexModifier + Armor, you would start out with a AC of 5 and add your the bonus from your armor.
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by deer_buster View Post
    Initial dex doesn't matter. When you are paralyzed, you are treated as having a dex modifier of -5. Since AC is 10 + DexModifier + Armor, you would start out with a AC of 5 and add your the bonus from your armor.

Thanks for the response but you didn’t answer my question. FG communicates this this penalty as a deduction rather than adjusting AC, despite what the core rule book says it also seems to be counting the effected as helpless. It applies a seemingly arbitrary -11 as a defense penalty. Is this correct, if so how is it calculated? If not how can I change the effect of a status debuff?

usually if you provided your character xml when you ask about issues, it helps us figure out what is going on.
    Last edited by deer_buster; April 5th, 2020 at 21:19.
    aka Laendra

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Just a note. In almost every ruleset built on FGU, all effects are applied to rolls as they are made; and do not modify the actual character data.

Regards,
    JPG

Also, correctly or not, the -11 comes from subtracting 5 due to 0 Dex, it is treating you as helpless -4 to AC vs melee attacks (even though the description of the condition says that is not the case), and you are treated as flat footed -2 to attacks
    aka Laendra

Quote Originally Posted by deer_buster View Post
    Also, correctly or not, the -11 comes from subtracting 5 due to 0 Dex, it is treating you as helpless -4 to AC vs melee attacks (even though the description of the condition says that is not the case), and you are treated as flat footed -2 to attacks
    That helps, now this is being applied by the ruleset I get when I run update on fantasy grounds. Could that be incorrect, I feel like if that were the case more people would report this issue?

I hadn’t submitted an XML because it didnt seem to be an issue with the character sheet but I will keep that in mind going forward. Based on what we are seeing it seems like an issue for the status effect. How can I change that or make a correct status effect?

Thanks for the help so far!

You could create a condition for each Dex value that applies a dex penalty to them. For instance, if their dex was 10, you could set an effect of "DEX:-9" so that the system treats the Dex as 1, and Dex mod of -5. and then do that for each one that your characters have...

But for the most part, this will require a ruleset fix
    aka Laendra

just confirmed that will work
    aka Laendra

Thanks for the help. Also unrelated but is it just me or did they just totally over haul the website?

Thread Information