FG Spreadshirt Swag

Can I install Classic without uninstalling Unity?

Hi,

Unfortunately, my group is on the verge of quitting so I have to make a change. Unity will be a wonderful product in the future.

So, I want to install classic. I jumped right into Unity and had never done VTT before so I'm not familiar with the install paths. Do I need to completely uninstall Unity first or can I have both Unity and Classic installed at the same time? Does character export work between Unity and Classic?

Thanks for the help!

They can be installed on the same machine, as long as they are installed using different application and data directory locations. The default install locations for both products are already different.

Regards,
    JPG

As moon mentioned, they can be installed side-by-side to different program directories and using different data directories. Some additional points of interest:

• FGC and FGU are separate products with separate licenses. If you purchased ONLY an FGU license for the open beta, you'll have to purchase a separate FGC license to use that.
    • FGC campaigns are forward-compatible with FGU... but the reverse is not true. You'll have to re-create your campaign for FGC from scratch. I'm not sure if xml character exports work, or if module exports work backwareds. But you can't just drag your campaing folder from FGU to FGC.

Blog Entries
    One other caveat is that you can not update one program while the other is running.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by ironsplitter View Post
    Hi,

Unfortunately, my group is on the verge of quitting so I have to make a change. Unity will be a wonderful product in the future.

So, I want to install classic. I jumped right into Unity and had never done VTT before so I'm not familiar with the install paths. Do I need to completely uninstall Unity first or can I have both Unity and Classic installed at the same time? Does character export work between Unity and Classic?

Thanks for the help!
    This is just my opinion, but I would say try out FG classic through the monthly subscription option, then in a month ( or sooner )try again and see if it FG Unity is stable enough for you. They did just release an update yesterday afternoon for FGU connection that MAY solve any connection problems you or your group may have been having.

Thanks for the replies.

I did get a monthly subscription to Classic and look forward to switching back to Unity when it is formally released and optimized. Several of my players were having a tough go of it on their older hardware. When FGU goes into 'spinning lock mode' on my machine it lasts for about 5 - 15 seconds before recovering, but several of my players were having hangs for several minutes.

We did a test run on Classic with a mock battle and everything went smoothly.

I can run both FGU and FGC side-by-side so that makes it easier to re-create the campaign materials. I didn't try exporting the FGU characters into Classic, instead I just re-created them as it wasn't too much effort.

Quote Originally Posted by ironsplitter View Post
    I did get a monthly subscription to Classic and look forward to switching back to Unity when it is formally released and optimized. Several of my players were having a tough go of it on their older hardware. When FGU goes into 'spinning lock mode' on my machine it lasts for about 5 - 15 seconds before recovering, but several of my players were having hangs for several minutes.
    It's worth noting that some (but not all) of these pauses/freezes CAN be caused by networking problems... I suspect but cannot prove that most all of the really long pauses you've seen are really networking problems in disguise and have nothing to do with the CPU/RAM/Disk performance of your player's computers. If you can convince a player with better than average patience to try a test combat with you after you've both updated to the latest build (which delivered important networking fixes), you might find the situation has crossed a threshold that makes it work well enough for you.

Thread Information