DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Monk noob question

Hi all,

Martial arts: Unarmed strike
    - Does unarmed strike as bonus action in Martial Arts also need an attack roll ? If yes, is attack mod dex (or str) bonus + prof bonus ?
    - How much damage does unarmed strike do ? In the monk table the martial arts damage is listed, but I dont know if this is the same as the unarmed strike.
    - Unarmed strike can be done each round after an attack is done with a monk weapon or unarmed strike ? What if attack misses, do I still have the bonus action of an additional unarmed strike ?

Yes it needs an attack roll. Any Monk weapon, or unarmed strikes can use Dex or Str, characters choice.

Unarmed damage is defined in the Monk level chart. That is the same as unarmed strike for a Monk.

Doing an attack is the trigger to get the bonus action. It doesn't matter if the initial swing hits or misses.
    i3ullseye

~ You're pretty good, but me? I'm magic!

Ultimate License holder

Sorry, one more question.
    So the damage for unarmed attack as lvl 1 monk is 1D4. Is there anything else added to the damage like dex/str bonus ?
    Some pages say damage is only 1 damage + str bonus, so thats wrong ?

The Martial Arts ability explains all this in detail. The first bullet points says you can use STR or DEX for the attack and damage rolls; the second one says you can use a 1d4 instead of the normal damage (which would be 1+STR). So a Monk uses 1d4+ DEX or 1d4 +STR for their unarmed damage.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

OK, but as unarmed strike is listed as a simple melee weapon: Am I proficient then with unarmed strike , so would I add prof bonus to attack roll ?

Quote Originally Posted by Noonien View Post
    OK, but as unarmed strike is listed as a simple melee weapon: Am I proficient then with unarmed strike , so would I add prof bonus to attack roll ?
    I don't think unarmed strike is listed anywhere - at least it isn't in the PHB anyway. Yes you are proficient.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thx a lot , all answered in this thread
    It listed in weapon list in PHB on side 149 in simple melee weapons.

Thread Information