STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Where’s the best place to ask “dumb, beginner” questions that most will already know?

I’m spending ages learning the basics and with other forums I’ve found there’s often experienced users who are happy to help out newbies. However, that doesn’t seem to be the done thing here.

I’m talking easy things like how does a player select their PC and add it to the map? How do they get their characters into the campaign?

Google search often leads to YouTube videos from a few years ago (which are presumably out of date).

Is there a place on the forums here where repetitive, beginner-focussed threads would be expected rather than irritating?

I should add, I’m using the wiki and help files as well which are okay (but generally work better once you’re reminding yourself, rather than learning).

This isn’t a question about “how do I learn FG?” but is rather about how the forums can help with that.

Cheers

In this subforum? (We’re playing starfinder, but questions like “How do my players get their PCs into the campaign?” are probably not system specific).

Blog Entries
    If its ruleset specific ask in the ruleset forum.
    Most players make their toons on the GMs server in the campaign.
    Are you using FGU or FGC?

FGU (I didn’t want to learn twice!) - none of my players will spend any money though, they’re all going to use the free version.

Am I understanding right - I log on, they all join the campaign and we then have a kind of “Session zero” where they build their PC all online?

One problem I found is that despite marking all the rulebooks I own available for players, when I tried a dummy run, the player couldn’t see any equipment. Does player visible stuff still default to “not shared”?

(Thanks very much, by the way. You’re very responsive for a Supreme Deity!)
    Last edited by Steve Geddes; April 3rd, 2020 at 10:52.

I have another question about using the cloud server vs port forwarding (?)

I want it to be easy and straightforward, so I’ve steered away from the latter, but I did hear when I tried to setup FG that the servers were struggling with all the extra quarantine related load. Does that mean the cloud server option is going to suffer in coming weeks and we’re not going to be able to seamlessly connect?

If I try setting up port forwarding is that pain I only need to go through once? (I stopped learning about computers back when floppy disks stopped being floppy, so I’m pretty clueless IT-speak wise).

Blog Entries
    Good news or bad news?
    Port Forwarding will work much better for you.
    You are in AUS you should be able to do Port Forwarding though Im not familiar with your ISP...
    Do a Port Forward of UDP 1802 to your computer IP and have your players use the IPv4 address.

Post a tracert 8.8.8.8 please

Blog Entries
    Oh and a good deity responds to devotees.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Geddes View Post
    Google search often leads to YouTube videos from a few years ago (which are presumably out of date).
    The answers to the general questions you're asking won't have changed in the past 6+ years. The current main version (v3 with CoreRPG functionality) was released at the end of 2013.

Also, FG Classic is very similar to FG Unity for most things. The main differences at this point are map creation and line of sight. Everything else will be the same - even putting PC tokens on the map (put the PC in the CT first, then add their token from the CT to the map).

There's plenty of resources out there - don't be put off by them being a few years old or being for FG Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Geddes View Post
    ... with other forums I’ve found there’s often experienced users who are happy to help out newbies. However, that doesn’t seem to be the done thing here.
    Hhhmmm, don't know where you're getting that idea from. These forums have always been renowned for welcoming new users and helping them out. We have a massive influx of people on the forums at the moment and a lot of the "old hands" are struggling to keep up with all of the questions. So some of us in this current high pressure situation won't be able to spend the amount of time we usually can with new people, and we may also get a bit short when someone asks the same question that's been asked many times recently.

All I'll suggest is do some research to help yourself first - the "Site Search" button at the top of the forums helps a lot with regularly asked questions, look in the Wiki (or download the user guide) and watch some of the videos. We'll be happy to answer questions, but may take a while to get round to them, and our responses may just be a link to where it's been discussed before - few of us have the time to type out a specific answer, especially when that's covered elsewhere.
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 3rd, 2020 at 11:13.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information