STAR TREK 2d20

Newbie looking for help and advice

Hello all,

My friends and I have recently started playing DnD and are just having a grand old time. We are looking to switch to online and I have a few questions I was hoping you could answer.

If I buy the ultimate version will my players get access to the other things I would buy? Players handbook, or Guildmaster's guide to ravnica for instance. If we are going to experience the content well and together will every player have to drop lots of money? We have been using DnD beyond and I saw there is a way to port your characters in. If it truly is drag and drop easy I'd be willing to spend the money but I dont know if everyone else would feel the same. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or answers provided.

Blog Entries
    The Ultimate license allow you to host as many free players as desired. (It does not include any premium content such as PHB, Guildmaster's Guide etc).

While connected to you, players can access any content (such as PHB etc) that you have purchased and allow for them to access.

If you purchase from the FG Store they have a 30 day refund policy if you are unsatisfied.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you very much for the quick reply. So ideally I would like to subscribe at the ultimate tier myself and pool some of our money to purchase some of the additional content. Based on what you told me my understanding is this is possible. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Asterik View Post
    Thank you very much for the quick reply. So ideally I would like to subscribe at the ultimate tier myself and pool some of our money to purchase some of the additional content. Based on what you told me my understanding is this is possible. Is that correct?
    Good Day Asterik
    Correct, any content the GM has purchased can be made available to the players as long as they are connected to the server. So when I have sessions and players need or want to research or mess around with different thoughts I just open the server and let them use the books, even if I am away at work or whatever.

Bonkon, Thank you very much for the reply! I will be gathering everyones money and begin our adventures online!!

If anyone is still looking at this thread I have one more question. I see that I can go with classic or unity. For someone who is brand new to fantasy grounds what would you recommend?

That's a difficult question. Classic has been around a while and has limitations with connections and memory. Unity doesn't have these issues but is currently in Beta so ii isn't quite stable yet but is being worked on at a rapid pace. I'd suggest possibly that you take out a subscription to Classic and then once Unity is out of Beta switch your sub to that.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    So as Mr Z says, it depends

Do you have any players using Mac Catalina? Then use FGU.
    Can the GM install FGC and pass the connection test? If not, either use FGU or see if they can get port forwarding working, if not, use FGU.
    Do you consider dynamic line of sight a requirement? Then use FGU.
    If you have to cancel a session because 'of issues' and that is going to be a big deal, then use FGC.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks again for all the info guys. I have decided to go with unity and have the next 5 days off of work. I am going to be consuming information to try to learn how to use the program and make it a good experience. I have found limited videos on unity but am going to watch. If you guys have any good links or sources of information it would be much appreciated!

Blog Entries
    Don't worry too much about videos being for FGU vs FGC. Or even videos that are a few years old. Except for actual map making and the connection interface, FGC and FGU behave 99% the same. Even the basics, like how to access object lists (item windows) are the same between different rulesets.

Don't forget to check out FG College and see about a free class or two. Very helpful if you like 'class' type formats for learning.

Thread Information