DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Buy Adventure Deck?

Hi guys,

I'm new to SW.

Just wondering, is the Adventure Deck necessary? Do I need to buy it and does what it adds to the game make it worthwhile?

Thanks in advance!

I was contrary to the use of the adventure deck when I started playing SW (also of random initiative based on cards, I must admit). Now, I couldn’t live without both. I absolute love the sense of unexpectancy the adventure deck offer, especially if you don’t peek at your player's cards. And, moreover, the second thing my players ask for when we start are their pretty little cards, they need them! (the first thing are bennis, of course). I also love the action cards for initiative, it gives an unpredictable touch to combat, they can’t make plans in advance considering they don’t know who acts first.

So, currently, for my group, adventure deck is a must-have. You can create on your own (i have a tutorial in my YouTube Channel in Spanish) or use the official deck, which is wonderfully automated.

It's a fun addition to the core rules but it's essential... if I were to compare it to another medium I would say it's like DLC for a video game that adds optional abilities to your character but no additional plot, you can play without it just fine but playing with it just gives you more options on how to approach a situation.

Thanks a lot guys! Sounds cool. Can you take Powers cards out of the adventure deck though? For the games where magic doesn’t exist.

Quote Originally Posted by qdwag View Post
    Thanks a lot guys! Sounds cool. Can you take Powers cards out of the adventure deck though? For the games where magic doesn’t exist.
    You can customize your deck, I have a program that I posted in the forum, removing cards that you dont want to use, or replace them if a player gets one.

We've been only playing SW for about 3 years. Since we normally play face to face and having physical objects shipped to me is ridiculously expensive we've never used the adventure deck and it works without it just fine. I have heard that it is something that adds a lot and most people keep using once they do

My 2 bennies, is that between playing with and playing without adventure deck, is that while occasionally the Adventure deck is applicable, its usually not something that comes up as useful. Might be of more value when PCs are higher rank, since you can get 1 per rank, but I have played up to Veteran with it and usually it was either not applicable or of little use.

Haven't seen it to much effect yet but new benny rule about influencing story might make them obsolete, haven't looked at SWADE deck yet.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by qdwag View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm new to SW.

Just wondering, is the Adventure Deck necessary? Do I need to buy it and does what it adds to the game make it worthwhile?

Thanks in advance!
    Looking at this question from pure real world table mechanics. Here is my 2 bennies. Adventure Deck is not absolutely necessary. It great fun but you will not need it to play. I think it is totally worth it.

What it does do is add a little bit of a surprise into a gaming session. Especially when nobody sitting at the table knows what cards are in play. A player can only play one card session (Unless they have adventure card that allows an extra draw or the Destiny's Child Edge). A character may get to draw more cards by rank but the player can only play one.

They get to surprise other players and GM with a power up that changes the game. It is not a rule that cards should be secret but it is fun. Cards can be traded around the table at any time. It just a random one time special bonus that is fun for players to mess around with.

Use is optional. I like them in high adventure pulp fiction settings (most of SW then). I will not use them in more realistic settings where the players are more helpless. It a nice physical setting rule that players seem to respond well to.

Under the new SWADE deck. Card selection has been revised a bit. There is removal of all cards that help players become unshaken. These all stopped being useful when later printings of the Delux Edition changed the rules on shaken (no raise required). It made sense to drop them when making the new deck.

So what we have left in SWADE is a deck that mostly gives temporary combat abilities that playes can throw onto that table that mix things up in a fast and furious way. They should be a bit more useful and less of a problem for the plot of a game.

The FG Adventure Deck duplicates the real thing perfectly. It is also faily easy to modify. So you can take tailor the deck to the campaign. Pull out or add cards as required. There lots of community support out there for this.
    Last edited by Lonewolfreloaded; April 5th, 2020 at 15:54.

Thanks!

Thread Information