5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Blinded Condition VS Dex saves

How does the Blinded Condition effect Dex saves?
    Blinded
    A blinded creature can’t see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight.
    Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature’s Attack rolls have disadvantage.

So it effects Ability Checks but not saves? This seems kinda wrong unless I'm missing something?

If anyone can help clarify this for me I'd really appreciate it

Blog Entries
    imo, saves are an ability check with proficiency. So they are affected as well.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyp31 View Post
    How does the Blinded Condition effect Dex saves?
    Blinded
    A blinded creature can’t see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight.
    Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature’s Attack rolls have disadvantage.

So it effects Ability Checks but not saves? This seems kinda wrong unless I'm missing something?

If anyone can help clarify this for me I'd really appreciate it
    RAW effects only do exactly what they say and nothing else. It says it effects ability checks, it does not say it effects saves so it does not. You are free to houserule.

Indeed as Gavin says, a Saving throw is not an ability check and is unaffected by the condition. However as always the DM is free to make any adjustments they think necessary for the particular situation.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

There are three types of checks in 5e: attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks. Ability checks include the idea of skills and using tools, as well as a raw test of ability.

These three are mutually exclusive and specifically named in the rules that apply to them.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Some things which may appear to be their own thing, are actually implementations of the saves or checks as well.

For example.
    Rolling Initiative is a Dexterity check.
    A concentration check for spells is actually a Constitution Saving Throw.

The only non-ability variant of a saving throw is the Death Saving Throw which has its own rules.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Blog Entries
    Anyone know if Sage Advice or others have ever addressed this question?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Anyone know if Sage Advice or others have ever addressed this question?
    I dont think so. The only reference to the Blinded condition in Sage Advice was on whether or not a blinded creature can make an opportunity attack.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

The only semi-official ruling on this isnt terribly definitive or official.

Jeremy Crawford was asked in a tweet "@JeremyECrawford Blinded creatures fail ability checks that require sight. Would this affect their ability to DEX spell save. RAW check/save"

His reply was "Ability checks & saving throws aren't the same. See the Sage Advice Compendium"

Relevant answer from the Sage Advice Compendium (page 8):

Are attack rolls and saving throws basically specialized ability checks? They aren’t.
    If something in the game, like the guidance spell, affects one of them, the other two aren’t affected unless the rules specifically say so.

Thread Information