STAR TREK 2d20

Everything just broke all at once. How do I begin to diagnose this?

So today I thought might be the day my party switches to FGU since I own it outright so I could stop paying $10 a month to keep playing. Ran a 1v1 series of tests last Wednesday to make sure it would work and our campaign imported properly and all characters were intact. Today when we went to play FGU started to white-screen as soon as more than 2 players tried to connect. Not surprised as instability is what I expected from Unity and expressed my worries about such when the Unity conversion was first announced many months ago. I was promptly told I didn't know what I was talking about and my concerns were fake.

So, seeing as we were not gonna be able to use FGU today I went back and opened up FGC and we were about to play but one player insisted on wanting to try FGU one more time as if waiting 5 minutes would some how change something. So.. I did just to humor them. Then, went I went back to FGC after getting the exact same results from FGU again, now FGC won't launch. Gives me an error about crashing when I closed it last, and there being a backup. When I progress past this it just gets stuck loading. Usually takes me about 2 minutes to go from the launch screen to looking at the game screen. Now even if I wait 15 minutes it never reaches the game at all.

I have now rebooted the computer.
    Uninstalled both clients.
    Rebooted again.
    Installed FGC again.
    Pasted in my campaign backup...

And I am still at infinite load screens.

Are you using the same data folder for both FGU and FGC? They install to different directories by default to avoid them trying to edit the same data.

The data formats are not compatible between FGC and FGU. While FGU can read FGC campaigns, it does not work in the other direction.

If you are moving a campaign from FGC to FGU, you should make a copy of the campaign for FGU, but you won't be able to re-open in FGC.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Are you using the same data folder for both FGU and FGC? They install to different directories by default to avoid them trying to edit the same data.

The data formats are not compatible between FGC and FGU. While FGU can read FGC campaigns, it does not work in the other direction.

If you are moving a campaign from FGC to FGU, you should make a copy of the campaign for FGU, but you won't be able to re-open in FGC.

Regards,
    JPG
    I have the folders separate but parallel. Literally got FGC as FantasyGrounds with FGU in the same base folder but named FantasyGroundsU so that when I move files from one to the other they are right next to each other. I did this right away because based on experiences with previous unrelated projects I've seen developers accidentally use the same folders so I did this out of instinct without even thinking about it.

If you provide a zipped up version of the campaign folder, I can take a look to see if I can load on my machine.

Also, FGC loads "all" images and tokens into memory. So, take a look at how many files and how big they are in the campaign images/ subfolder as well as the FGC data folder under tokens/ subfolder.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information