5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

4E - Changing dmg types and skills for Gamma World

I'm working on babby's first extension to make 4e a little more playable for Gamma World 7th edition. I copied someone else's damage type extension and was able to get that working, so I got confident and tried to add in skills instead.

It seems like it works, I see the correct skills on the character sheet, BUT, I also get an error in the console whenever I open a character sheet.

Code:
    Runtime Notice: Reloading ruleset
    Runtime Notice: s'DataCommon.dmgtypes = ' | { #1 = s'acid', #2 = s'cold', #3 = s'fire', #4 = s'force', #5 = s'lightning', #6 = s'necrotic', #7 = s'poison', #8 = s'psychic', #9 = s'radiant', #10 = s'thunder', #11 = s'physical', #12 = s'electricity', #13 = s'laser', #14 = s'radiation', #15 = s'sonic', #16 = s'critical' }
    Runtime Notice: s'DataCommon.skills = ' | { #1 = s'acrobatics', #2 = s'athletics', #3 = s'conspiracy', #4 = s'insight', #5 = s'interaction', #6 = s'mechanics', #7 = s'nature', #8 = s'perception', #9 = s'science', #10 = s'stealth' }
    Runtime Notice: s'DataCommon.skilldata = ' | { s'Science' = { s'stat' = s'intelligence' }, s'Conspiracy' = { s'stat' = s'intelligence' }, s'Athletics' = { s'stat' = s'strength', s'armorcheckmultiplier' = #1 }, s'Insight' = { s'stat' = s'wisdom' }, s'Mechanics' = { s'stat' = s'intelligence' }, s'Interaction' = { s'stat' = s'charisma' }, s'Perception' = { s'stat' = s'wisdom' }, s'Stealth' = { s'stat' = s'dexterity', s'armorcheckmultiplier' = #1 }, s'Acrobatics' = { s'stat' = s'dexterity', s'armorcheckmultiplier' = #1 }, s'Nature' = { s'stat' = s'wisdom' } }
    Runtime Notice: s'DataCommon.psskilldata = ' | { #1 = s'Acrobatics', #2 = s'Athletics', #3 = s'Conspiracy', #4 = s'Insight', #5 = s'Interaction', #6 = s'Mechanics', #7 = s'Nature', #8 = s'Perception', #9 = s'Science', #10 = s'Stealth' }
    Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_string.lua"]:81: attempt to get length of local 'set' (a nil value)
    Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_string.lua"]:81: attempt to get length of local 'set' (a nil value)
    Database Notice: Campaign saved.
    I looked in the ruleset under the scripts folder, and I don't see a manager_string.lua file, and I'm not sure where else to look to figure out what might be wrong.

I'd be super grateful for any guidance, if anyone knows what this error is.

Thanks!

The 4E ruleset is layered on top of the CoreRPG ruleset - which is where you'll find the manager_string.lua file.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for the quick reply!

This is what's at line 81:

Code:
    function contains(set, item)
    	for i = 1, #set do
    		if set[i] == item then
    			return true;
    		end
    	end
    	return false;
    end
    Any idea why changing the skill names would break this? I'm pretty sure it's the skill names and not the damage types, and it also appears to be related to the combat tab.
    Last edited by raynbowbrite; March 31st, 2020 at 12:29.

Do a find in files in the 4E ruleset for StringManager.contains to see where it's being called and try to work out which call is causing the issue.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks, I've done some programming in the past, but not with Lua. Does it have an IDE or a project manager or anything where you put all the pieces together like Eclipse or Visual Studio?

Quote Originally Posted by raynbowbrite View Post
    Thanks, I've done some programming in the past, but not with Lua. Does it have an IDE or a project manager or anything where you put all the pieces together like Eclipse or Visual Studio?
    Nope.

Extract the ruleset files to somewhere outside of the FG rulesets directory. Then use "find in files"... A lot of people use Notepad++ (me included) it has LUA code colour formatting and there's an XML plugin that can test XML syntax when changing FG XML files. Other than they you're pretty much on your own. And use Debug.console a lot...

Yeah I <3 Notepad++

Thanks for all the advice, I may have to table this for another day, as I'm not sure how much effort I want to put in just for a Gamma World oneshot, and it looks like the skills are def more complex than the damagetypes.

Do you get those original errors when you create a new character? Or only when you open a previously created character sheet?

Both, I had the same thought, that it might just be an old charactr had the old skills on it, but it does it with a freshly created character too. It seems like the skill list is just tied more directly into the ruleset. I did a search on one of the skills i removed and it came up in like 4 files, so there's probably alot more work that needs to be done.

I *thought* my damage type fix was working, but it actually seems like it's breaking things too.

All the effects are gone from my effects window, any idea what would cause that?

All I did was add new damage types to the DataCommon.dmgtypes

Code:
    -- Damage types supported
    my_dmgtypes = {
    	"acid",		-- ENERGY TYPES
    	"cold",
    	"fire",
    	"force",
    	"lightning",
    	"necrotic",
    	"poison",
    	"psychic",