Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Inquiry - Merge on Reference - Specifically Spells

Hi All,

I'm presently working on a Homebrew Module and with that, there are classes that use spells from various other books. While I've found a way to make Spell Lists just like for the core DnD Classes where you can reference them from the Spellcasting Feature of the Class with a list of all spells the class can known, I would like to be able to reference the spells from the other books, maintaining Copyright and NOT redistributing protected work, but I'd like to also have the Source Search function work as well. Presently I can't seem to merge/append the Source Information that I would like to the spell.

The Reality broken Down:
    reality.png

In my case, there is a Shaman class. I had thought I could use a reference link for the spell look up and merge the Source fields, but it seems I'm not 100% on how to do that.

Code:
    <boomingblade  merge="merge">
    	<link type="windowreference">
    		<class>reference_spell</class>
    		<recordname>reference.spelldata.boomingblade@D&#38;D Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide - Player's Guide</recordname>
    	</link>
    	<source>, Shaman</source>
    </boomingblade>
    This was what I had come up with to try to have it result in the merge that I'd like...

desire.png

That is "photoshopped" to make it appear as I would like. Want Fantasy Grounds to do this.

Do I need to make an extension that handles appending merged fields for source in this case?

I think the best way and fastest way would be to create a copy of the spell and adding the information you wish to add and then exporting to create your own home brew spell list

Capture.PNG
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

While I agree that would be the quickest way, I can't agree on the best as I believe that violates copyright laws. Wouldn't the module then be re-distributing Spells from a protected work? I don't have authorization to republish spells. Given that WotC has gone after people for republishing their compiled Urban Arcana that they are providing from their website at no charge with a CaD request, I'd rather not run into that with a Homebrew Module. That's part of why I'm looking to have it reference the officially sold modules and then append the desired data. If you don't have the modules loaded then you can't access and use them in the Mod. DM's share out their library so as long as the DM has the information needed then it works for them and all players.

Sorry, missed the part about distributing it. Thought this was for personal use. The merge of the source I believe won't work the way you are attempting. I am going to have to think on how would the best way to accomplish this as the source data is stored with the spell in the module.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

I don't suppose there is a way to build the spell so that it pulls data line by line and I can just overwrite the source data... something other than

Code:
    <link type="referencewindow">
    Would this fall under RuleSet Layering and I could load the modules I need as the prior layer?
    Last edited by Klandaghi; March 30th, 2020 at 23:34.

No, the data is fixed in the module. You can't override the data without making a copy and editing it. If you are looking to distribute, you would need publisher permission to distribute the edited copy.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    No, the data is fixed in the module. You can't override the data without making a copy and editing it. If you are looking to distribute, you would need publisher permission to distribute the edited copy.

Regards,
    JPG
    I was hoping that wouldn't be the case :-\ Given Layering for Rulesets, you'd think you could layer that data. Oh well. Guess the Source search will just have to be broken for the module. The Spelllist Reference method will still put all the information in the same place for players to choose their spells. Was just hoping to populate the module with a method that would allow custom classes without distributing un-lawfully. Homebrew is a free and popular Book from GM Binder. Have a second one I plan to work on after this one. Building Modules for the Warcraft Hero's Handbook 5e and Final Fantasy XIV Shadowlands 5e. Then again the homebrews are not made with the permissions of Blizzard or Square Enix... so it may be a futile practice in the end anyway :-\

Blog Entries
    If this is 5E data, you can re-distribute PHB spells with caveats via the DMsGuild. You need to be adding new stuff, and your new stuff needs to be more than what you are re-distributing, and you couldn't have copies of all the spells, but you can do some fraction.

No there is no rule that says it has to be 80% new or anything like that. It just has to be respectful, whatever that means.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    If this is 5E data, you can re-distribute PHB spells with caveats via the DMsGuild. You need to be adding new stuff, and your new stuff needs to be more than what you are re-distributing, and you couldn't have copies of all the spells, but you can do some fraction.

No there is no rule that says it has to be 80% new or anything like that. It just has to be respectful, whatever that means.
    The issue is that I'm working to create a module from a homebrew that someone else created. I have the Homebrew creator's permissions, but that doesn't extend to the intellectual propery owner for what the homebrews are based on. On top of this, They are referencing spells in UA, XGtE, and SCAG. Those are the modules that I was hoping to be able to reference from the official modules and have my module just append source of X Homebrew Class for the source search function to work.

I can make the spell list work so that is how I will do it. It requires that you have the official modules purchased here, so I'm not reprinting/copying/reproducing their work. I'm only adding the few spells that were made. It is a different way to find spells, but as far as I can tell from a WotC standpoint, it is the most legal way to be able to redistribute the module freely without breaking Copyright laws there.

The Homebrews are written as fan projects of the MMO's that they are based off of. At this point, this is where I expect a CaD may come eventually, but will worry about removing the Module from public use should that occur with the Homebrew. In the meantime, I plan to finish these out to help with Social Distancing for myself, friends, and anyone else that wants to try playing these homebrews.

Blog Entries
    Try this: use wildcard links in your list.

Replace:
    Code:
    <boomingblade  merge="merge">
    		<recordname>reference.spelldata.boomingblade@D&D Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide - Player's Guide</recordname>
    	</link>
    </boomingblade>
    With:
    Code:
    <boomingblade>
    		<recordname>reference.spelldata.boomingblade@*</recordname>
    	</link>
    </boomingblade>
    This will force FG to search all records loaded that match that record name, and populate the list with whatever it finds. The caveat is if you specify a spell and the user does not have any source with matching record names, they'll end up with a blank entry on the list. But generally speaking, wildcard links are the recommended solution, assuming I'm understanding what you're proposing.

Thread Information