5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Newbie starting forum?

Hi there.

With the advent of the Coronavirus, I imagine there may be an significant uptick in people who have just bought into a virtual table top, like FG (i.e. people like me :-) ). Is there a dedicated forum for such newbies? There may be, but if so, I have missed it.....

Anyway... I am now looking for some help - I just signed up to the (subscription) ultimate licence for FGU (I think...) but am having some problems with loading some information.

1) I am not 100% certain that I am using FGU (pretty sure, but I could be wrong). When I log in, I see V4.0.0 - I presume this is correct?
    2) When I start a new campaign, I select which books I want included - I have purchased PHB, DMG, MM and Xanathars. However, when I click on the NPC tab within FG, there are no monsters to select from... Have I missed something?
    3) I am (slowly!!!) working my way through the manual, but quick questions on char creation:-
    a) Can I link my Herolab files to FGU at all?
    b) If no, does FGU include all the rules for character building and levelling? If yes, can you point me at a good resource on how to use this? I seem to be struggling (a lot!!)

Many many thanks

Aiddar

Blog Entries
    Welcome Aiddar

v4 is FGU
    Check the Wiki. Go to Library -> Modules and activate the modules you want to use
    Im not sure - I think yes but they are not perfect imports
    Assign Attributes
    Drag a Background to the sheet
    Drag a Race to the sheet
    Drag a Class to the sheet
    Add Spells and Equipment
    Play

Lots of Video resources here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ul-information

You can rwead about character creation here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...haracter+Sheet

Or watch these videos instead. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...reation-Videos

There isn't any import facility from HeroLab into FGU
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you both. Bit of a shame re. the HeroLabs, but it is what it is.

Off to watch some videos (I assume they are for FGU?) - cheers!!

Aiddar

So - I just found this on Steam. I downloaded the demo. I am truly excited about this. I have not played table top D&D for years. Still a huge fan. I told my brother about coming across this because he is trying to get his kids interested... cant wait to try it out. I agree with my brother that as a beginner this program seems a bit overwhelming. However, I am looking forward to trying it out. Cant wait.. Cheers!

Blog Entries
    Welcome DiKatal, lots to learn, but don't try to learn it all at first. Start simple and grow from there. Enjoy

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Its not as bad on the Player side; there is about 3 tiers, mostly related to coding effects or spells/techniques/attacks/items and there are Modules with most if not all of that done some Community (free) and some Paid. and once you get used to the iconography, Players character sheets are pretty intuititve.

DnD 5e especially is highly automated (drag and drop: races, classes, backgrounds, new class after leveling, spells, items, etc.).

The thing that annoys most people, is that Fantasy Grounds is built to make the GMs job easier so its focus is for them. There is a lot of stuff that someone who only plays NEVER sees or only sees the outcome of.

Reread previous and decided to add.

For most beginners, IGNORE Effects, get used to FG and its Iconagraphy. After used to the system, then start looking into and playing around with effects, start with the simple stuff: Buffs, DeBuffs, Ongoing effects. After used to those and comfortable, THEN start working on the high end Conditional and IF-THEN, if you need to. Mind you most stuff has been coded either thru Community work (Check particular ruleset on forum for community stuff and lost more either thru FG store and/or Drive-Thru RPG.
    Last edited by Mgrancey; April 4th, 2020 at 20:30.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Thread Information