5E Character Create Playlist

New to FG. Request Advice for D&D 5E Campaign prep.

Currently half way through Curse of Strahd playing it in-person paper/pencil. I recently downloaded the free version of FGU to get familiar with the program. My intent is to transition my campaign to digital format and build a gaming table with a TV built into it. My computer will run 2 versions for the DM (small monitor) and Players (Table TV) as a visual reference while the players are in-person with physical dice, character sheets, etc. I'm also hoping I can get away with only needing to purchase the FGU license and the curse of Strahd module and possibly PHB. Anything that isn't available (magic items, spells, sub-classes) I'll just custom build it.

To what extent could/ should I build on a test server before I start spending $$ on the digital license? When I purchase the CoS module is it easy enough to just upload to an existing session, or will I need to create a new session? If I'm going to be running a DM paid version of FCU and a second player version, then will it matter under which I am creating the PC's? Is there any recommended websites for which I can download images from in order to start building a file full of tokens, monsters, scenery, etc?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Hi Peedubya, welcome to FG.

I think the best answer is to consider taking out a subscription for a month to give things a workout. Smiteworks offer a 30 day no quibble money back guarantee so you would lose nothing it it isn't for you.

Many people use FG in face to face games; there is a long thread here about it. Essentially you load a second instance of FG and join to the host instance. This gives you a DM and a player view. The player view gets projected onto your screen.

You would create characters in the host instance for ease. Curse of Strahd, like all of the FG adventure modules, comes complete and ready to play. It contains all of the artwork, maps and story entries found in the harback, as well as all of the NPCs, monsters and treasures. Maps are gridded and set up with map pins which link to the relevant story entry, encounters are prepared and pre placed on the map, treasure parcels are fully created and linked to story entry for easy distribution. Roll-able tables are provided to roll random things when required and there is a story template to make the Tarot reading easy.

I would certainly recommend the PHB for character creation options; the SRD and Basic rules come free but are limited in what options are available.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you for responding with a quickness Zacchaus!

To clarify; I do intend to purchase a subscription and the module, just working with the free version until I'm budget ready.

Adjusting my original inquiries as appropriate-
    To what extent could/ should I build on a test server before I start spending $$ on the digital license? When I purchase the CoS module am I able to just upload to an existing server, or will I need to create a new server? Is there any suggested websites for which I can download images from in order to start building a file full of tokens, monsters, scenery, etc?

Blog Entries
    All content/creation/campaigns are stored on your computer. So when you get a license you will just enter it into your settings and you will then have added capabilities.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information