5E Character Create Playlist
Page 11 of 30 First ... 91011121321 ... Last
    After having my version mismatch error yesterday, and thinking our connection issues are solved, I once again am not able to connect. I just see "Attempting resolved connection to server..." permanently. There is no new update so I know that isn't the issue. GM has an ultimate license, I was successfully connected yesterday, so we know network settings are correct. I tried to connect several times, restarting the program, changing computers, and updating the client, to no avail. Let me know if I'm missing something.

edit: the GM just restarted the server while using a VPN service and it appeared to clear up the issue, for the time being.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Neovirtus; April 7th, 2020 at 18:45. Reason: additional info

FGC: Connection okay
    FGU: Same Firewallsettings... 2h of Tests later... only public cloud works for us. (Each other option: Permanently "Attempting resolved connection to server...")

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simerion View Post
    FGC: Connection okay
    FGU: Same Firewallsettings... 2h of Tests later... only public cloud works for us. (Each other option: Permanently "Attempting resolved connection to server...")
    FGC uses TCP protocol. FGU uses UDP protocol. You need to update/alter to port forward both. Also, since both applications have the same process name, this might cause an issue with security software not allowing the FGU process.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

@lavoiejh,

It looks like one of the users (Alesthelinas) was downloading a bunch of files from the server; possibly over a slow connection or loading a lot modules (since it seemed to take about 20 minutes). It seemed to coincide during the time you couldn't connect, so I'll see if I can trigger anything in testing using a similar scenario. I have tried that scenario, but maybe it's sporadic and I need to test more.

If you try again, please see if you can get any information about what other users have done so far as well in the session.

Thanks,
    JPG

After tonight's update I can no longer localhost join my campaign. Got a player to test , they they can connect fine. Was working fine last night while testing for anticipated game over easter.

Port forwarding works for player.

Console says
    [4/9/2020 6:55:23 PM] Attempting direct connection to server. [localhost:1802]
    [4/9/2020 6:55:23 PM] Attempting authorization. [naroe - DIRECT (NON-MEDIATED)]

FGC connects host and player fine
    Last edited by Naroe; April 9th, 2020 at 10:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    @lavoiejh,

It looks like one of the users (Alesthelinas) was downloading a bunch of files from the server; possibly over a slow connection or loading a lot modules (since it seemed to take about 20 minutes). It seemed to coincide during the time you couldn't connect, so I'll see if I can trigger anything in testing using a similar scenario. I have tried that scenario, but maybe it's sporadic and I need to test more.

If you try again, please see if you can get any information about what other users have done so far as well in the session.

Thanks,
    JPG
    Ok, that's interesting to note. I also thought I might have seen something about a cloud server outage around that time? If so, that would explain it too I think. We don't have a ton of modules going, just PHB, XGtE, and Descent into Avernus-Players. I don't believe the player Alesthelinas has a slow connection, and he had been connected for about an hour by the time you start seeing my failed attempts to connect, here:

[4/7/2020 11:34:03 AM] NETWORK COMMAND STATS [7]: 2315 (2315) / 104 (104)
    [4/7/2020 11:34:03 AM] NETWORK FILE STATS [7]: 14 (39) / 0 (0)
    [4/7/2020 11:34:27 AM] Client connected. Waiting for authorization. [2]
    [4/7/2020 11:35:03 AM] NETWORK COMMAND STATS [7]: 2315 (2315) / 112 (112)
    [4/7/2020 11:35:08 AM] Client connected. Waiting for authorization. [3]
    [4/7/2020 11:36:03 AM] NETWORK COMMAND STATS [2]: 2 (2) / 0 (0)
    [4/7/2020 11:36:03 AM] NETWORK COMMAND STATS [0]: 19 (19) / 0 (0)
    [4/7/2020 11:36:03 AM] NETWORK COMMAND STATS [7]: 2318 (2318) / 134 (134)
    [4/7/2020 11:36:03 AM] NETWORK COMMAND STATS [3]: 2 (2) / 0 (0)
    [4/7/2020 11:36:18 AM] Campaign saved.
    [4/7/2020 11:37:03 AM] NETWORK COMMAND STATS [7]: 2318 (2318) / 139 (139)
    [4/7/2020 11:37:15 AM] Client connected. Waiting for authorization. [4]
    [4/7/2020 11:37:54 AM] Client connected. Waiting for authorization. [5]
    [4/7/2020 11:38:03 AM] NETWORK COMMAND STATS [7]: 2318 (2318) / 154 (154)
    Later that evening we ran a session, 6 players and the same host. At that time everyone was able to connect after a try or two, but 2 of our players had to reconnect due to various unloaded assets errors. We then had a player disconnected, and he was unable to reconnect, before the GM turned off LoS on our map, and the whole program crashed Overall, those are the three bugs I'm seeing: connection issues, assets failing to load properly leaving blank spaces, and (possibly the same asset issue) maps going black leaving just the grid and tokens.
    Last edited by Neovirtus; April 9th, 2020 at 14:17.

I added extra checks that should throw immediate popup errors if any network data drops; so perhaps the files aren't being requested/loaded right.

Is there a particular map that was problematic with LoS and missing graphics? Examples are the best thing I can provide to our image/graphics dev. Might need a recent copy of campaign folder to see if we can recreate.

Thanks,
    JPG

Over the the course of the beta I've seen it happen to a number of different images, in different campaigns. Assuming I see it again I'll try to compile a good report for you.

My thought is that any time you share an image with players a bunch of data has to go out from the GM PC all at once. Seems like the client is freezing up any time it gets bogged down with large tasks anyway (a la opening up NPC or Images window) so perhaps data is getting corrupted or packets are being lost as a result. I'd try to share, and mask/unmask a map a couple times. In my experience you're bound to see it.

Yeah, I added a sequence number to every data packet; so I would expect a nice red pop-up error if that happened. (which is what I believe was happening when getting corrupted maps prior to 4/4 build).

So, I'm guessing it's something different like the request/receive system for assets; or not drawing right; or something similar.

Technically, we could also look in the cache in the campaign.dat file to make sure that the asset got downloaded correctly, but we can drill in later on that if you have the time. (i.e. asset file on GM machine should appear in campaign.dat at roughly the same size).

Regards,
    JPG

Ran a session with 5 players last night. First 3 connected no problem, and the 4th was getting "Attempting resolved connection to server", but was able to connect after rebooting his computer (why that helped, I have no idea). My 5th player was never able to connect, the whole 2 hr session. He kept getting the same Attempting resolved connection error, and it would never go through. Attaching my logs and his for review, and I have the campaign file zipped up as well. If that's helpful, just PM me and let me know the best way to send it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information