FG Spreadshirt Swag

Pathfinder 2e newbie setup/loading modules query

Hi,

I'm a new player investigating if our group can use FG to play PF 2e online, and I've failed at the first hurdle.

I created a FG account (free) to see how it all works and decided the first thing I need to try is Create Character. When I do that and select the PFRPG2 rules set (the one in the list with 'View License' next to it) it takes me to the character creation. but no Ancestries, Backgrounds, Classes, etc. are listed when inclick the relevant buttons.

If I open the 'Modules' screen it shows Pathfinder 2 module is 'not installed' (or maybe 'not loaded') and a Red Cross icon.

I've been told we can use a free account to try it out, but maybe that's not possible. I've also viewed several tutorial/beginners videos but they always have the module(s) pre-loaded & don't really explain why that is.

I've not linked to a Steam account as don't want to do that until we decide if we definitely want to use FG.

Please can anyone explain what I've done wrong?

Thanks in advance
    Jim

Welcome to the FG forums RsfcJim!

The Pathfinder Second Edition Core Rules FG conversion is not an OGL product included with a paid license (like PF 1 D&D 3.5E and D&D 5E), it is a purchasable DLC: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...ZOSMWPZO2101FG

I appreciate this doesn't allow you to fully try out the PF2 FG system, especially character creation.

You can try out the interface in general and you can try PFRPG (Pathfinder 1e) or D&D 5E, which come with SRD libraries.

Another thing to think about is that SmiteWorks offer a no questions asked refund within 30 days of purchase, so you can try it fully (by purchasing the modules you're interested in) and get a full refund if it's not what you want. Not ideal, I know...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for confirming, that's kinda what we thought but I was also wondering if I just being an idiot and missing something on install.

Our DM purchased a physical copy of the PF2e core rule book & some other components last year when we intended to play face-to-face, so I'll let him know we'll need to purchase a paid license to give t a try.

Cheers
    Jim

Thanks for replying Trenloe. I'm the GM who was about to start a face to face Age of Ashes campaign, but the current situation has obviously interfered with that.
    So just to ensure that I'm covering all of the bases, we'd need 1 ultimate (FGC or FGU) licence (either $10/month or one time of $150) and then the other players could play in a campaign using their free demo licences.
    Then I'd need to buy the Hellknight Hill scenario (currently $25), but also the CRB ($60). I'm guessing you can try and avoid buying the CRB, but then you'd have to manually add all of the ancestries/classes/skills/feats/spells/equipment that you need.
    I can't see that you can buy the Bestiary in the store, so guess all of the monsters come with the scenario?

RsfcJim and I can try the FGC demo with the sample D&D 5E stuff to get a feel for the experience (can't see we could do this for FGU without buying a licence).

As I'm sure you can imagine, it's a difficult situation having already bought the physical copies of pretty much all of the PF2e stuff. I'm keen to play something to keep our group going, but we don't know how many weeks/months we are talking about and then we'd be back to face to face gaming. We have looked at Astral Tabletop and Roll20 already, but thought FG looks the best one to go with.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the FG forums Calvertfan!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvertfan View Post
    Thanks for replying Trenloe. I'm the GM who was about to start a face to face Age of Ashes campaign, but the current situation has obviously interfered with that.
    So just to ensure that I'm covering all of the bases, we'd need 1 ultimate (FGC or FGU) licence (either $10/month or one time of $150) and then the other players could play in a campaign using their free demo licences.
    Then I'd need to buy the Hellknight Hill scenario (currently $25), but also the CRB ($60).
    That's correct.

If you already have the PDFs from Paizo, then sync your Paizo account with FG and you'll get the cost of the PDF off your FG purchase. If you don't have the PDF already, you'll get it as part of your FG purchase.

I'm guessing you can try and avoid buying the CRB, but then you'd have to manually add all of the ancestries/classes/skills/feats/spells/equipment that you need.
    You could, but I really wouldn't recommend it. There's a HUGE amount of data in the Core Rules and a lot of the drag/drop functionality relies on it being in a certain format.

I can't see that you can buy the Bestiary in the store, so guess all of the monsters come with the scenario?
    Yep, all the monsters you'll need from the actual product are included in the FG module.

There's a community OGL bestiary available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...67-SR-Bestiary And the official bestiary isn't too far off...

RsfcJim and I can try the FGC demo with the sample D&D 5E stuff to get a feel for the experience (can't see we could do this for FGU without buying a licence).
    Yep.

As I'm sure you can imagine, it's a difficult situation having already bought the physical copies of pretty much all of the PF2e stuff. I'm keen to play something to keep our group going, but we don't know how many weeks/months we are talking about and then we'd be back to face to face gaming. We have looked at Astral Tabletop and Roll20 already, but thought FG looks the best one to go with.
    I'm biased - but I agree that FG is the best to go with.

Even when you're back together, you could still use FG at the table for referencing NPCs, traits, abilities, feats, spells, etc.. I use FG when I run Age of Ashes face to face - primarily as a digital battlemap, with a TV flat on the table showing a player view of the FG battle map, and unmask the view as the players move around.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for replying again Trenloe. I hadn't considered the option of using FG while face to face. One last question, would you recommend going to FGC or FGU at this point?

One last question, would you recommend going to FGC or FGU at this point?
    Depends when you'll be playing. If you're still a few weeks off then maybe look at FGU. For playing right now I think there's too many connection issues with the massive influx of people trying to play and test.

Unless you absolutely need line of sight, I'd consider a Classic Ultimate subscription at first - most of the basics are going to be the same in Unity as they are in Classic, so you won't be wasting time learning to play in Classic. Then once FGU settles down consider moving over, either your subscription or a permanent license.

Thanks again for your replies Trenloe, I've gone for a monthly ultimate subscription, bought the CRB and Hellknight Hill and we start wednesday evening...

Thanks again for your replies Trenloe, I've gone for a monthly ultimate subscription, bought the CRB and Hellknight Hill and we start wednesday evening...
    Fantastic! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

A couple of things that helped me start out with PF (1e) on FG years ago (running Carrion Crown):
    1) As the GM, start a second instance of FG on the same computer as the GM instance and "Join Game" with a server address of localhost This is invaluable when learning FG to know what the players can, and can't see. Do this during your game to check what you've shared, what the map looks like, etc..
    2) Don't try to use all the automation at first. Start with PCs, maps, combat tracker, basic targeting, etc.. Don't try to use effects or anything like that for your first session. Manually adjust dice rolls as needed. Then once you're comfortable using the basics of FG look into ways of automating the areas you want to automate.

Thread Information