THANK YOU!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kowinator View Post
    the access to the folder alone did it.

THANK YOU!
    You are welcome Happy Gaming!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I installed FGU on three systems, two of which could not set user permissions.

- My own W10 (1903) PC: Permissions set by FGU updater on both program and data directory.

- My W8 VM running on a NAS (Linux player remote connecting to join my FG server): Permissions could not be set by FGU, neither as limited user nor as user with admin rights. Data folder even is in C:\Games, which all "Authorized users" have access to by default. Manually setting write permissions to "Everyone" worked.

- A player's W10 PC: Permissions could not be set by FGU, again had to set these manually to make it work.

Why does FGU Updater need "Everyone" permissions instead of "Authorized users" even for data folders that do not reside under a user's own appdata structure?

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    I installed FGU on three systems, two of which could not set user permissions.

- My own W10 (1903) PC: Permissions set by FGU updater on both program and data directory.

- My W8 VM running on a NAS (Linux player remote connecting to join my FG server): Permissions could not be set by FGU, neither as limited user nor as user with admin rights. Data folder even is in C:\Games, which all "Authorized users" have access to by default. Manually setting write permissions to "Everyone" worked.

- A player's W10 PC: Permissions could not be set by FGU, again had to set these manually to make it work.

Why does FGU Updater need "Everyone" permissions instead of "Authorized users" even for data folders that do not reside under a user's own appdata structure?
    It doesn't need the Everyone group specifically .. it just needs the user to have write permissions to the install directory.

The FGU installer actually adds the Users group with full control to the install directory - note that the Authenticated Users group is a member of the Users group by default. However, we've seen time and time again, security software removes the permissions immediately which is why the updater asks to Fix Permissions by adding the Everyone group as a catch-all. If that doesn't work, its usually because the security software removed the permissions again. You may have to add the FGU directory to the antivirus exclusion list.

The W8 VM does not run any third-party antivirus software, so it's just Windows Defender.

Why does FGU's updater try to run as user (running into permission problems) while FGC asks for administrator rights just like any other installer (including FGU's installer before Updater is run)? This seems like an unnecessary hassle, which in turn needs me to do remote support for my players to allow them proper installation of FGU.

Add an exclusion to Windows Defender then.
    FGU updater installs some files to %appdata%, which if you run as admin would install under the admin profile.

How does Classic handle this problem then?

Hi Guys

Just fired up FGU and the 2020-11-01 build toldme that there is an update

Clicking on that first time hung the updater, so I killed it and quit the VPN and tried it again

It went through and updated things and the launch winwidow displays build 2020-11-04, but is still prompting me to check for updates.

I've tried that several times now and there were no more hangs, but the prompt remains.

Running on MacOS Catalina.

What info would you like to best help diagnose what's going on?

Nevermind - I discovered another thread that mention the minor glitch in the updater highlight
    Last edited by Reg; November 6th, 2020 at 13:05. Reason: found answer in other thread

Blog Entries
    Make sure you are in the Live channel

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

There was a glitch with it in one of the development builds but it should be fixed. Are you on the Live channel?

Thread Information