Starfinder Playlist

New FGU User - Wondering why it's so slow.

Hello,

I bought Fantasy Ground Unity earlier this week - mainly becuase of COVID19 and wanting a way to move my regular game to a VTT. I was excited to purchase it to be honest, as I had done a fair about of comparative shopping against roll20, astral, etc. and FGU seemed to be the best option with the most features.

One thing, however, that has been extremely frustrating is how slow this product is. I have a relatively fast laptop that I use for work often (i work in the genomics/bioinformatics space and lead a software development team for scientific computing) - complete specs below. The software though is laggy, and often is using >50% of my GPU and ~30% of my CPU even when I'm not doing anything. This seems really surprising to me, so.. question:

1. Should roll back to FGC? or stay with FGU? Will SmiteWorks do that for me?

Time to load default example campaign (host) on LAN - about 2 - 3 minutes.

Average resource consumption for GPU/CPU after loading >50% for GPU and the CPU fluctuates between 10 - 30%:
    2020-03-26 (5).png

2. Is there some setting I can change to make this run more smoothly?

My laptop is basically a business laptop with 16GB of ram. I don't use it for 3D gaming, so there's no dedicated card for graphics (it's running the Intel 620 chipset with 1GB of video ram) Still.. for this kind of app there should be no need for graphics of any high level, and the contstant fan sound and GPU of over 50% makes me wonder if there's some setting in the software that can be changed.

Right now - frankly I'm pretty disappointed with the performance. HOpefully someone here can point me in the right direction to improve things?

thanks,

j

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
    Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name REM-WIN-WANG
    System Manufacturer HP
    System Model HP EliteBook 840 G4
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU 1GE43UT#ABA
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300U CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2712 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date HP P78 Ver. 01.32, 1/5/2020
    SMBIOS Version 3.0
    Embedded Controller Version 69.78
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
    BaseBoard Product 828C
    BaseBoard Version KBC Version 45.4E
    Platform Role Mobile
    Secure Boot State On
    PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.17763.1007"
    User Name INFORMATICS\JacobsJ
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
    Available Physical Memory 8.83 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 31.4 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 24.0 GB
    Page File Space 15.5 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Kernel DMA Protection Off
    Virtualization-based security Not enabled
    Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Name Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5916&SUBSYS_828C103C&REV_02\3&115 83659&2&10
    Adapter Type Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, Intel Corporation compatible
    Adapter Description Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
    Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
    Installed Drivers C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igd lh64.inf_amd64_862bac15d0efb48d\igdumdim64.dll,C:\ WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh6 4.inf_amd64_862bac15d0efb48d\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WI NDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64. inf_amd64_862bac15d0efb48d\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WIND OWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.in f_amd64_862bac15d0efb48d\igd12umd64.dll
    Driver Version 26.20.100.7263
    INF File oem65.inf (iKBLD_w10_DS section)
    Color Planes Not Available
    Color Table Entries 4294967296
    Resolution 2560 x 1440 x 60 hertz
    Bits/Pixel 32
    Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF0FFFFFF
    Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF
    I/O Port 0x00003000-0x0000303F
    IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967284
    Driver c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\igd lh64.inf_amd64_862bac15d0efb48d\igdkmd64.sys (26.20.100.7263, 19.68 MB (20,630,872 bytes), 10/17/2019 1:04 AM)

Blog Entries
    FGU is in Beta. Combine that with a flood of new users the servers are not proving as stable and capable as designed. The issue is being worked and updated and fixes are being applied multiple times a day. There is little to nothing you can do about it at the moment except be patient.

Should you go back to FGC? First, I'm just a user and only have access to public info. So these are just my opinions. It depends on your tolerance. Personally I expect things to improve significantly within 48 hours. And for FGU to become stable once again within 7-10 days. Is that acceptable to you? Or do you want to start playing right now? FGU is the future, but FGC is stable and capable right now. Only you can decide what you need and value.

If you do decide to switch, contact [email protected] and they will help you out as soon as they can. Do please note that they are reviving multiple time the normal amount of support requests and have a small team so it might take them a bit (a day??) to reply.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The files haven't been optimized and compressed/compiled for speedy transfer yet. It will get significantly better.
    Your hardware is more than adequate and is not the issue.

Run it in LAN mode and use a VPN.
    I had the same problem, it was unplayable because of constant freezes and lag. I switched to LAN mode, with a vpn (LogMeIn / Hamachi) and it worked great. my guess is it,s the servers and lobby architecture is horrible. feels like from the 80s.

Personally, I've seen improvements almost every day since Thursday. I had a player log in today to test some stuff out today and it ran like butter when it was being pretty sluggish on Thursday night. Honestly I think it'll just get better with time since it's an early access product. I am a believer in the improvements though and am excited to test out the line of site changes once I get to a section where they are applicable.

Thread Information