5E Character Create Playlist

Considering a VTT, several questions?

With the current COVID-19 Pandemic, I am looking at playing online using a VTT. I am in one of the lockdown states, so our gaming group is no longer getting together in person. As such, I'd like to consider a VTT. Although, I have plenty of experience as a DM, I have very little experience using a VTT. I have played a few board games online using Vassal, and played as a PC (not DM) using Roll20 in Shadowrun and D&D 4th several years ago.
    I was looking to possibly run a Pathfinder 2E game. I already linked my Paizo account as I own Pathfinder PDF's from Paizo. I have adequate PC, headset and bandwidth.

Here are my questions:

1) Is it only the Classic version on Steam, or is the Unity version supported? If I am starting fresh, it seems like Unity would be the way to go?
    2) If I try the monthly subscription and buy additional some content, do I keep that content if my subscription lapses (presuming I resubscribe later, or buy the full ultimate).
    3) I noticed it already comes with rulesets. What do I gain for example by adding the Pathfinder Core book?
    4) How big a hinderance is it not have the Bestiary yet?
    5) How comprehensive are the adventures? For example, if I buy Fall of Plaugestone or Age of Ashes how much prep work would I need (aside from having read the adventure).

There's basically no difference between FG on Steam and FG outside of Steam. In fact - all Steam does is provide a stub that runs FG outside of Steam.

The only reason to purchase FG on Steam is if you get better regional pricing if you're outside of the USA. If you're inside the USA my recommendation would be to purchase on the FG store - more money goes to SmiteWorks and the community devs. Also, every month license keys are uploaded to Steam allowing people who bought their FG license on the FG store to register the Steam version as purchased.

To answer your questions
    1) Unity still has some issues - it's in Beta testing and, especially during busy times, there have been connection issues. If you're OK running beta software and prepared to have some issues, then go for FG Unity. If you're not happy with that, then it will probably be best to take out a FG Classic subscription and then change to FG Unity in a few months.
    2) Content is linked to your username, not your license key. You always keep the content you've purchased - and it's available across FG Classic and FG Unity.
    3) A ruleset is just a blank framework - the character sheets, NPC sheets, item sheets, etc. - waiting for you to enter data. The Core Rules is all of that data.
    4) If you're using purchased modules then all of the creatures used in that product are included. If you need creatures from the Bestiary, you can use the OGL community module: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...67-SR-Bestiary So, no, it's not really a hindrance not having the bestiary (which will be out very soon anyway...).
    5) The adventures are very comprehensive. Once you're familiar with FG all you'll need to do is read the adventure and you'll be ready to go.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi danman welcome to the community

1) Yes, the Unity Beta isn't yet on Steam. Some hoops have yet to be jumped through to get it there. Unless you enjoy the benefit of Steam's regional pricing there isn't any benefit from buying trough Steam. The client doesn't run in Steam and all DLC etc comes from Smiteworks.
    2) Yes, if you buy content it is allocated to your account with Smiteworks and is available to you with any kind of license.
    3) A ruleset is just a framework which allows Fantasy Grounds to run the game; it knows what a hit is and knows that a dice roll will be a hit or a miss; or it knows what a saving throw is and what is a success or a failure; it knows what a character is and will have built in character sheets. However the content is not included in the ruleset and that's where the Core Rulebooks come in. THose are the things which actually allow a characater to be built and weapons to be equipped etc.
    4) I can't answer that one since I don't play 2e but I imagine that if you want to create your own adventures it could be an issue. Although I think there's some SRD stuff around.
    5) Very. All adventures are fully prepared to run; mapps are gridded and pinned with Story entries, encounters are prepared and pre-placed on the map; treasure parcels ar linked to the stories for easy distribution; magic items are there; all the monsters and NPC are there and an awful lot more. More that you get in the actual books in fact.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you both for your replies. Trenloe the Strong, I recognize that name and artwork from Descent, and Runebound. Which did you play?

I went with monthly Ultimate on classic to try it out. Question, is it only the host who will need to port forward or will that be required for all players also?
    I went ahead and bought the PF2 Core book and a couple of modules after linking my Paizo account. Bought directly, not through Steam but did link my Steam account. Will those eventually show up in my Steam Library also?

Blog Entries
    Only the host needs to port forward.

Licenses will eventually show up in your Steam library, not sure about DLC.

Welcome to the Jungle!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by danman71 View Post
    Thank you both for your replies. Trenloe the Strong, I recognize that name and artwork from Descent, and Runebound. Which did you play?
    Good spot!

I played Descent - both versions.

Quote Originally Posted by danman71 View Post
    Bought directly, not through Steam but did link my Steam account. Will those eventually show up in my Steam Library also?
    Nope.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information