5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

FGU On Chromebook?

I know that it's possible to run FGC on Chromebook using Crossover, however it appears that FGC is the only option available on Crossover.

One member of my group uses a Chromebook and we're trying to sort out if it's possible to run FGU on a Chromebook. All the information that I've been finding with Google seems to be specific to Classic. Does anyone know if it's possible to run Unity on a Chromebook?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Unity will have a native Linux build but probably not until much closer to launch date.
    I havent seen anyone testing FGU on Crossover on Chromebooks as yet.

Blog Entries
    Unity is so new that I don't think anyone has tried yet. Perhaps your player wants to try? I would assume the process to be nearly identical, but...

Good luck!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

No current update on the Linux version.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Idea Informer

My daughters have 5 month old Samsung Chromebooks and the Chrome OS states 64 bit. Using Crossover I can install and run FGC, but when I attempt to install FGU I see an error message indicating I cannot install 64 bit apps on a 32 bit system. I wish my daughters’ and their friends chromebooks could run FGU as I have a chance to get some more gamers.

FGU will be 64-bit only; and will only natively run on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.

Regards,
    JPG

There is a way to run it on chromebook, FGU to be specific. With the new OS update, chromebooks can boot Linux apps in a VM instance. Its simple to enable this in a chromebook and lots of websites show how to do this. Next would be to install the linux version of steam and then download FGU through steam. You can get information on how to do this through this link: website_link.

I have had a player do this successfully but he has a chromebook with 16gb of ram and an intel CPU. To my understanding, FGU does require at least 8gb of ram from the specs on the Steam store and 20gb of hard drive space. So please keep that in mind. The reason I mention the CPU is because it can affect this install. If the chromebook in question has an ARM cpu (meaning that the CPU architecture is built on an ARM system, example would be the new M1 chip from Apple), then you will not have access to a large amount of applications that rely on an x86 command set (both AMD and Intel have this command set so that is why they can run Steam), which both the Steam application an FGU need to run correctly. Without going into too much detail, only chromebooks with an Intel/AMD processor, at least 8gb of ram (ram is questionable at this point since I do not understand how the VM instance of Linux is setup) and the most recent update for chromebook can download and launch FGU.
    Last edited by LoserAim; December 2nd, 2020 at 19:20. Reason: Because I done ****ed up and made a vague post.

This is also the same process needed to run PCGen on a chromebook.

I have installed FGU using Steam on my Chromebook and it works perfectly fine!

I have modest specs (Acer Chromebook514: Pentium @ 1.1 GHz with 8GB memory) and currently use the latest ChromeOS version 87, but I had it installed on version 86 too. I just googled how to install Steam using the Linux terminal windows on ChromeOs and installing FGU was pretty much straightforward from there.

It runs smoothly and I can connect to other users without problems. I have yet to try out a real gaming session with maps and LOS, but so far so good :-)

Thread Information