DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Multiple Arcane Backgrounds

So I am looking to set up a character with two different arcane backgrounds. One from their race and one selected by an edge.

Is there a way to associate different powers with different arcane backgrounds (and thus different arcane ability rolls)?

Thanks

Panzermeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
    So I am looking to set up a character with two different arcane backgrounds. One from their race and one selected by an edge.

Is there a way to associate different powers with different arcane backgrounds (and thus different arcane ability rolls)?

Thanks

Panzermeyer
    I dont think it is possible with the current ruleset. You might need to create an extension to add a new window for a second set of powers based upon a second AB, or rewrite the current powers tab to assign each power a different AB.

Anyway, I think that core rules states that only one AB per character, isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by lozanoje View Post
    Anyway, I think that core rules states that only one AB per character, isnt it?
    Nope, if that was ever a rule it was in an edition before SWEX (published in 2009.) In all editions since SWEX it's been GM's discretion as to whether additional ABs are allowed. It got easier to acquire an additional Arcane Background with SWD, because background edges started to be allowed after PC creation - GM approval only in SWEX.

With the new AB (Gifted) edge in SWADE, support for multiple ABs is more important than ever, because not every GM allows Gifted to be used for powers beyond the initial, single power. I allowed it to be used for additional powers by 2 races in my 1st homebrew campaign, mostly because there was no clear indicator in the AB's description that precluded it. I've since retconed it out, for the simple reason that it can easily lead to too many, multiple powers capable AB PCs in a campaign - fine if you've running a supers campaign, but potentially unbalancing for other types, which it was for mine. I now only allow AB (Gifted) for activation of its single, initial power and if a PC want's additional powers they need to acquire another AB edge. So in it's current state, the SWADE extension doesn't support my campaign properly.

I'm probably just going to remove Gifted from the list of Arcane Backgrounds and have any Gifted PC track their power points elsewhere. I'm not bothered by it not being automated, because in my campaign Gifted only powers a utility power (Shape Change) and it's easy to track how frequently it's being used.
    Last edited by kronovan; March 25th, 2020 at 20:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post

Yes, sort of....

You add the two arcane skills, then choose One Arcane background in the Powers Tab.

Every power for this arcane background, you just add it to the power tab.

If you want a power to be for the other arcane background, you right click on the arcane skill area and select the pencil icon, then you type the skill you want it to use, this should then appear in square brackets.

I did a video about it a while back, it was about custom fighting skills but the same process works for powers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMdt9-enpno
    Last edited by Doswelk; March 25th, 2020 at 22:04.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk View Post
    ...You add the two arcane skills, then choose One Arcane background in the Powers Tab.

Every power for this arcane background, you just add it to the power tab.

If you want a power to be for the other arcane background, you right click on the arcane skill area and select the pencil icon, then you type the skill you want it to use, this should then appear in square brackets.
    A wee bit clunky, but that none the less would work for my homebrewed setting. I can see that by using that solution, the AB (Gifted) Shape Change power could have Focus as its linked skill in brackets.

Thread Information