5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Players map broken until they restarted FGU

Hosting Pathfinder 1e w/ Dungeon Theme

So, unfortunately I did not get the console logs, people started restarting FGU which of course clears the logs. I thought I had my saved my log somewhere, but I forgot at some point when we started having issues again and I restarted my FGU because we were near session end. I will try to have them get logs next week when it inevitably happens again. I did have them send screenshots, which prob isn't much use without the logs, but here they are. Definitely issue with people dropping randomly and does not show me they've dropped. I only had 4 players this week, compared to the 7 from last week so I don't think it's a problem with the amount of people connected.

broken map1.jpg - map seems to be missing - just have the grid and LOS

broken map2.jpg - half of map is missing - you can see players are just floating (I believe I turned off LOS for this one to see if it fixed anything. It did not.

broken map3.png - again, for another player - half the map is missing

Everyone who did restart FGU were seeing the map correctly.

I will definitely try to get those console.log next session.

I'm not sure for pics 2 or 3, but for one, whenever that happens, try to check your network activity as a host. This happened to my players because they had slow internet and it took a little while to upload the map to them. I checked my internet activity and it showed that my fantasy grounds was uploading files. We just waited a while and then the map showed correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr0W View Post
    I'm not sure for pics 2 or 3, but for one, whenever that happens, try to check your network activity as a host. This happened to my players because they had slow internet and it took a little while to upload the map to them. I checked my internet activity and it showed that my fantasy grounds was uploading files. We just waited a while and then the map showed correctly.
    It's not my internet. I have 1gb fiber and usually wifi is around 300-400Mbs up and down.

Blog Entries
    Remember, it's not just your internet, but that of your players as well.

It seems like their are similar reports of this issue. But I haven't been able to see a common denominator yet.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yes, I didn't say it was your internet. You should check if fg is uploading when a player got black maps like that. On my tables the players with good internet got the map instantly while the ones with bad internet got that same black map for a while and my fg was uploading data. When it stopped uploading, that players map was fixed.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if its possible for FGU to start showing a map before it has finished transferring?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I'm working on some network tweaks and additional network logging this week, especially to look at image transfer issues. Hopefully, that will allow us to get to the bottom of issues like this; but even the new information will be in the logs.

Thanks,
    JPG

Image 1 happens to me whenever I try to 'maximise' the map by clicking the arrow that points to the upper right and locks the map window behind all the other windows.
    Almost positive that is what happened to your player. Only an issue when you're using a mask.

2 and 3 are different looking.

I was able to fix it by reverting changes on the map on the DM's computer, but then had to remask and reshare.
    Last edited by bmos; March 24th, 2020 at 12:23.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    Image 1 happens to me whenever I try to 'maximise' the map by clicking the arrow that points to the upper right and locks the map window behind all the other windows.
    Almost positive that is what happened to your player. Only an issue when you're using a mask.

2 and 3 are different looking.

I was able to fix it by reverting changes on the map on the DM's computer, but then had to remask and reshare.
    I haven't used masking in FGU, only LOS. I did toggle LOS off and on which fixed nothing.

They were having the issue for at least 5 mins before deciding to restart FGU and then the map was good again. The map I think was only 2MB. This is a network issue, similar to others I've had where players drop but doesn't show me in the chat that they disconnected. If it was an ISP issue on either end, I don't think it would magically work again after they reconnected FGU.

Since I failed to get the logs this time, just throwing in my SS as I know others having similar issues and the Devs know how many are running into similar issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I'm working on some network tweaks and additional network logging this week, especially to look at image transfer issues. Hopefully, that will allow us to get to the bottom of issues like this; but even the new information will be in the logs.

Thanks,
    JPG
    I will try to get logs from people when these problems happen again. I know my players just want to play and aren't always telling me that they are restarting. I wonder if there is an easy way to store like the last 5 logs, that way you don't lose the errors upon restart, but also don't just continue to have logs build up. (Or maybe that's what you meant by additional network logging )

Thread Information