STAR TREK 2d20

New to FG trying to figure out how to get started

Hi all,

I'm super new to FG and trying to figure out what is the best way to get started with 4e for this program. I have a number of the books in hardback/paperback and pdf format. As far as I understand it DDi is not a thing anymore (I used to have an account years ago with WOTC), is that correct? If so, what would be the best way to get going with a group of players that are going to now go the FG route? Any tips or pointers would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by wyndhydra View Post
    Hi all,

I'm super new to FG and trying to figure out what is the best way to get started with 4e for this program. I have a number of the books in hardback/paperback and pdf format. As far as I understand it DDi is not a thing anymore (I used to have an account years ago with WOTC), is that correct? If so, what would be the best way to get going with a group of players that are going to now go the FG route? Any tips or pointers would be great.
    Welcome! I am a new exp user/DM using 4E in FG, and what I can tell you is that it is possible if you really want to play it. Not so many people play it, and you cant find any official D&D module book for FG anymore since this edition is not licensed. But you can get help and support here or in the official discord server.
    I can also give you some basic tips and tell you how i got started (Discord: TheeWhite#0958). If you like 5E as much as you like 4E i recommend playing 5E, since it is more supported and the module books are available

About the DDI, it could work only if you had an active subscription i think, but new subscribers cant get access (someone correct me if i am wrong)

Blog Entries
    The DDI library is no longer available and the modules cannot be shared.
    You can enter the data that you need as you need it.

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, while I found 5e to be ok, my players prefer 4e, which they still have. Given that the DDI route is not viable anymore, is there a quicker method than hand making everything from the PDFs? I know for example that in the savage worlds ruleset there is a NPC maker, where you can copy the stat block, and it makes the character. Is/was there anything like that for 4e?

Blog Entries
    The DDI link was the parser. I don't think anything else was ever developed since it existed and pretty much did what was needed.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks @LordEntrails for the response. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I guess I will just add on the fly by hand...

Quote Originally Posted by wyndhydra View Post
    Thanks @LordEntrails for the response. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I guess I will just add on the fly by hand...
    It is not as horrible as you might think. Don't add the text unless it is something you need to share in game because you can always read the PDF as easily as a FG Story file. Images you can drag and drop so those are fast and easy. Creatures, Items, and Spells are the annoying bits, but again, only do the ones you need when you need them and it goes pretty quickly.

If you try to add whole books at once in order, that can get frustrating.

Thread Information