5E Character Create Playlist

Stuck at "logging in" for FGUpdaterEngine

I ran a game on my laptop via FGU, using my FGU license, username, and password and it worked flawlessly. Next session I'd like to use my desktop.
    I already had FGC installed (and working), so I uninstalled that and did a fresh install of FGU. I put in the key, get an immediate message that it's valid and good to go, I put in my username and password, just like on my laptop... and when I hit Log In is says "logging in" and just sits there. Forever.

I've shut down all the Win10 firewalls, I've checked Xfi for port forwarding (in place) and that there are no refused connections (there aren't), but here I sit. The laptop is on the same network and works fine. I don't have Malwarebytes or any other file protection apps installed. I'm at a loss.

This is all there is in the FGUpdater log:

ARGS:
    CheckNewUpdater(): False
    Launch C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine\FGUpdaterEngine.exe

Having the same issue with a fresh PC build tonight

We just resolved one like this over email with one of our users. It ends up that Comcast/Xfinity's new "Advanced Security" feature was blocking the login URL to check the login.

See this thread for more detail:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-XFinity-Users

Regards,
    JPG

As I noted in my original post, I've seen that thread... I have port forwarding enabled and I'm not seeing any threats refused. Keep in mind this isn't a question of my players not being able to connect to my game, it's a question of not being able to update the client. My laptop works just fine (same network), but my desktop just sits at logging in, with no notes in the log to say why. The license check, strangely enough, goes right through.

As of right now, I have no threats being blocked, and my port forwarding is in place. In the 'settings' button of the FGUpdater, I put in my key and get back a green message immediately that it's good. I then type in my username (Bad Mojo) and my password. The bottom left of the little window goes to "Loggin in" - where it has been for... oh... 10 minutes now. I've let it sit overnight and it still just reports "Logging in." I'm installed in the default directory since I've read that can be an issue, located at C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds on my desktop.

To muddy the waters even more, I can click the "update" button on the FGUpdaterEngine main window, and it connects to FG and downloads all the free core stuff - but doesn't see any of my purchases because I'm not logged in. Clicking the "settings" button to get to the login window results in the above happening, hanging at "logging in."

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Mojo View Post
    To muddy the waters even more, I can click the "update" button on the FGUpdaterEngine main window, and it connects to FG and downloads all the free core stuff - but doesn't see any of my purchases because I'm not logged in. Clicking the "settings" button to get to the login window results in the above happening, hanging at "logging in."
    So, the issue is that the Updater is unable to connect to the login server (https://patch.fantasygrounds.com/...)
    People that have reported this same issue are on Comcast/Xfinity, and are having this particular URL blocked.

If you open your Player.log
    (in terminal, type 'open ~/Library/Logs/SmiteWorks/FGUpdaterEngine/Player.log')

In the log, search for the url that resembles this:

https://patch.fantasygrounds.com/fg_...okie.php?user=

Please (without posting the url here), copy that whole URL and paste it into a browser.
    You will likely see a 500 error or some other network error.

This means that your network is blocking access to this url and we can't reach the login url.
    Other users have reported that the steps in the above linked thread have fixed the issue for them.

On my end, I put out a new updater that has a bit better handling of this case in UI so it doesn't freeze up, but the core issue is likely that your computer cannot reach this site.

The reason the basic updates are working is that the url we use for the new update system (https://update.fantasygrounds.com) resolves to a different server entirely that does not seem to be blocked by Comcast/Xfinity.

If the thread did not resolve your errors, please still try the URL test are report results.
    (The response will either be a network error or some xml (View Source on page) with either success or failure.

I had to use 'start' instead of 'open,' but it came back with an error saying windows could not find it and I should check to make sure I typed it correctly. I also ran a search of my install directory and couldn't find a player.log there.

My laptop connects through the same Xfi network and works beautifully after opening port 1802 and catching a few blocked players and allowing access.

Does the license key get assigned to hardware similar to how Herolabs works? Is it possible that by installing FGU on my laptop, my license is tied to that or can I install FGU on all my devices and run it?

So since I'm quarantined anyway, I reinstalled windows and then Fantasy Grounds and now it works. I will say that before when I installed and closed the installer, it just closed, it never ran updater - I had to find it myself and run it. That persisted through several installs of FGU. This time, it kicked off the updater on its own. I'm not sure what the hangup was, but I'm glad it's working now. Thanks to all for the the assistance!

Thread Information