STAR TREK 2d20

Is there a way to automate poison, or call for saves manually?

I was running my game last week and the attack automation for the monsters was all working very well, but there didn't seem to be any option for me to do the poison listed on their sheet, so I had to call for them to roll fort saves just in the window and manually check against DC and do the damage if they failed. Is there a way to automate it and I'm missing it? I'm okay with doing it manually, last week was our first game using FG instead of pencil and paper, so I'm used to keeping track manually, I just wanted to see if there was something I'm missing.

Also, is there a way to set a dc for a check and then have your players roll it outside of a spell or a trap's automated DC?

Komm, it depends on what you are trying to roll from. My (SR) Bestiary has examples of how I made use of the Spells tab for Creatures to enable GMs to drag and drop or target cast saving throws. You might want to see example of that within there to see how I did it.

But in short, I just created a Spell Entry with all the correct information for that type of poison. Using a FIXED DC ensures you have the right DC, set the save type, and then it's ready to go. Beyond that, I could then use other Effects to deal appropriate damage, create on-going damage, and/or add other effects like drained or slowed. It's not hard for creatures.

For players, you can do much the same thing with their powers/spells tab.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask further details!
    Enjoy!
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    Komm, it depends on what you are trying to roll from. My (SR) Bestiary has examples of how I made use of the Spells tab for Creatures to enable GMs to drag and drop or target cast saving throws. You might want to see example of that within there to see how I did it.

But in short, I just created a Spell Entry with all the correct information for that type of poison. Using a FIXED DC ensures you have the right DC, set the save type, and then it's ready to go. Beyond that, I could then use other Effects to deal appropriate damage, create on-going damage, and/or add other effects like drained or slowed. It's not hard for creatures.

For players, you can do much the same thing with their powers/spells tab.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask further details!
    Enjoy!
    So for a multi-stage poison, I could create a spell for them to have for the first stage, then add effects for ongoing damage with effects?

Also, I've been struggling to learn the script language to make things work properly when I add it to the characters/npc/monsters. Is there a page of examples of how to type up effects and attacks to make them work properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Komm Suesser Tod View Post
    So for a multi-stage poison, I could create a spell for them to have for the first stage, then add effects for ongoing damage with effects?

Also, I've been struggling to learn the script language to make things work properly when I add it to the characters/npc/monsters. Is there a page of examples of how to type up effects and attacks to make them work properly?
    Yes, you could create a spell for them which handles the initial save and all stages along the way, even with duration for tracking. You still have to manually or mentally keep track of stages based on those saves, though. I know Tren has grand plans for automation down the road, but that's still a ways away.

Here's a quick, simple example from my bestiary:

You can see I set up the save, an effect to keep track of the poison's duration, the damage that it incurs, and the drained effect that happens at Stage 2.

To see information on effects in PF2, check out the wiki here:
    PF2 Effects in FG

Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

There's not a way to "call for the PCs to make fort saves" that allows the players to roll the saves themselves. I do have thoughts on that for the future, but it's not there yet.

The GM can automatically roll saves in two ways:
    1) Via the "cast" action - as ShadeRaven shows above.
    2) Via the Party sheet - Set the type of save and DC at the bottom of Main tab and click the roll icon. The main gotcha with this is that it won't currently automate a basic saving throw (half on save).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information