DMsGuild Classic
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: FGU on Linux

  1. #11
    Looks like I found another problem.
    On my installation the buttons only work the first time one is pressed. I have tried "Release Notes", "User Manual", and "Web Store". Once one of these is pressed, and the web page is launched none of the buttons work.
    I also tried this when the screen was dragged over to a separate monitor from the browser.
    Independently of this buttons also stop working if the FGU window ends up behind another window, If the FGU window is then brought forward the buttons don't work.
    Another way to describe to this is that the buttons on the FGU window only work until it looses it's initial focus.
    The four button in the upper left corner does not disable the other buttons, but is disable at the same time that as the other buttons.
    Clearly this is a problem with my installation or configuration.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jag567 View Post
    Looks like I found another problem.
    On my installation the buttons only work the first time one is pressed. I have tried "Release Notes", "User Manual", and "Web Store". Once one of these is pressed, and the web page is launched none of the buttons work.
    I also tried this when the screen was dragged over to a separate monitor from the browser.
    Independently of this buttons also stop working if the FGU window ends up behind another window, If the FGU window is then brought forward the buttons don't work.
    Another way to describe to this is that the buttons on the FGU window only work until it looses it's initial focus.
    The four button in the upper left corner does not disable the other buttons, but is disable at the same time that as the other buttons.
    Clearly this is a problem with my installation or configuration.
    Exactly, read my posts. You need to enable "emulate desktop" to solve this problem.

    fgu-enable-desktop.png
    Last edited by lesliev; April 12th, 2020 at 08:41.

  3. #13
    Thanks for this. Trying it on new Pop!_ box, so basically Ubuntu/Debian, up to date.

    I've tried four or five times now, tweaking things like which Windows version. As others have suggested, I choose three options: d3dx10 dotnet472 corefonts, during the "Manual installation" phase in PlayOnLinux.

    That seems to go fine; we get the notice that the C++ package will be installed, that seems to conclude successfully; its window disappears and we're left with the "PlayOnLinux Wizard", "Manual installation" window, whirly icon wirtling... "Please wait..." greyed out, "Next" button grey, "Cancel" button available.

    I've done this a few times now, most recently waiting ~20 minutes or so just in case I'd overlooked a "Please wait," but with my system showing nothing underway in 'top'. We hang.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by twork View Post
    Thanks for this. Trying it on new Pop!_ box, so basically Ubuntu/Debian, up to date.

    I've tried four or five times now, tweaking things like which Windows version. As others have suggested, I choose three options: d3dx10 dotnet472 corefonts, during the "Manual installation" phase in PlayOnLinux.

    That seems to go fine; we get the notice that the C++ package will be installed, that seems to conclude successfully; its window disappears and we're left with the "PlayOnLinux Wizard", "Manual installation" window, whirly icon wirtling... "Please wait..." greyed out, "Next" button grey, "Cancel" button available.

    I've done this a few times now, most recently waiting ~20 minutes or so just in case I'd overlooked a "Please wait," but with my system showing nothing underway in 'top'. We hang.
    I installed dotnet472 in one of my working installations and that broke the game. So I never choose that. corefonts appears to deal with the blank buttons problem and d3dx10 might help with map effects, I don't know.

    If you close the hanging window after installation, is there nothing installed in your "bottle"? You can select the bottle and click on "configure" and "Make a new shortcut from this virtual drive" - if the installation has succeeded you should then get the option to make a shortcut from the installer (FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe) and after you run that, FGU itself (FantasyGrounds.exe).

    Make sure PlayOnLinux hasn't opened up another window somewhere - sometimes it opens windows behind others and waits for you to respond in those.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauthic View Post
    winetricks corefonts

    Hi.

    THANK YOU for this. Have been beating my head against the wall trying to get this working. I'm not used to WINE, and I kind of think that's a fortunate thing.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliev View Post
    I installed dotnet472 in one of my working installations and that broke the game. So I never choose that. corefonts appears to deal with the blank buttons problem and d3dx10 might help with map effects, I don't know.

    If you close the hanging window after installation, is there nothing installed in your "bottle"? You can select the bottle and click on "configure" and "Make a new shortcut from this virtual drive" - if the installation has succeeded you should then get the option to make a shortcut from the installer (FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe) and after you run that, FGU itself (FantasyGrounds.exe).

    Make sure PlayOnLinux hasn't opened up another window somewhere - sometimes it opens windows behind others and waits for you to respond in those.
    Thanks again for this. Now, my output is a core dump. I'll upload the contents, but the top two pages are:
    Code:
    Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0xc00095be8 in 64-bit code (0x000000007bc9ce48).
    Register dump:
     rip:000000007bc9ce48 rsp:000000000021e9b0 rbp:000000000021eaa0 eflags:00010202 (  R- --  I   - - - )
    [...]
    Attached Files Attached Files

  7. #17
    I should have been more explicit: this is after restarting the setup process again, with these details:

    I restarted the setup process, again on a fresh prefix name.

    I didn't select the "set up WINE" step, chose only the "Install some libraries" option, under the "Manual install" steps.

    64 bit windows; I tried 32 bit previously to this, and that does fail explicitly before the setup process is finished.

    Wine's set up... Fantasy Grounds setup looks fine...

    I get a quick window saying something (the upload process?) is running. That goes away, next is the shortcut wizard. I choose "FantasyGroundsUpdater.ext" and "FGUpdaterEngine.exe". After those are in place, I click the "I don't want to install" option. Now I have what looks like a call to the program, but when I try it, we go through the crash notice.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by twork View Post
    I should have been more explicit: this is after restarting the setup process again, with these details:

    I restarted the setup process, again on a fresh prefix name.

    I didn't select the "set up WINE" step, chose only the "Install some libraries" option, under the "Manual install" steps.

    64 bit windows; I tried 32 bit previously to this, and that does fail explicitly before the setup process is finished.

    Wine's set up... Fantasy Grounds setup looks fine...

    I get a quick window saying something (the upload process?) is running. That goes away, next is the shortcut wizard. I choose "FantasyGroundsUpdater.ext" and "FGUpdaterEngine.exe". After those are in place, I click the "I don't want to install" option. Now I have what looks like a call to the program, but when I try it, we go through the crash notice.
    I've only tried Wine 4.2.1, so I've no idea what happens with the v4.0.2 that you are running. Also, I picked Windows XP, not Windows 7.
    You need to run "FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe", not "FGUpdaterEngine.exe". Your attached backtrace is for "FGUpdaterEngine.exe" (though I guess it could be a subprocess).
    I assume your "FantasyGroundsUpdater.ext" is a typo.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliev View Post
    I've only tried Wine 4.2.1, so I've no idea what happens with the v4.0.2 that you are running. Also, I picked Windows XP, not Windows 7.
    You need to run "FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe", not "FGUpdaterEngine.exe". Your attached backtrace is for "FGUpdaterEngine.exe" (though I guess it could be a subprocess).
    I assume your "FantasyGroundsUpdater.ext" is a typo.
    Ah, details.

    I was following Wine defaults as they came with my OS; that was the "Windows 7" and "Wine 4.0.2" reasons.

    Switching to Windows XP and Wine 4.3 (list of versions offered is LONG here, but 4.2 to 4.3, didn't get a 4.2.1).

    As you suggested, "FGUpdateEngine" is called by the FantasyGrounds called. And: now, I do get the update screen! It finds my account, it downloads some files... then it stops, and nothing further seems to work.

    I'll poke some more. There are some little booboos I may have made here and there, so I'll wipe it and start from scratch. But I wanted to get this on the list in case it's useful to anybody else.

    EDIT: Without the "corefonts" option, at the "acknowledge license" stage, I guessed the wrong "OK", and that was why it "crashed" (really, stopped because I chose wrong.) Now I've stepped through again, this time with the corefonts and d3dx10 chosen. Working! I write this looking at the button to open "Quick Start Guide".

    Thank you!
    Last edited by twork; April 14th, 2020 at 20:35.

  10. #20
    FYI - just got it working on my Manjaro 19.02 using lutris wine setup thanks to some help here in this thread. Had to manually install corefonts but after that so far so good. My crappy windows 10 box loaded up the tutorial campaign in 9 minutes (i timed it), my linux box did it in 15 seconds.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
5E Storm Kings Thunder Playlist

Log in

Log in