Starfinder Playlist

View Poll Results: Which is the better FG Program?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • FG on Steam

1 10.00%
  • FG from the Site

9 90.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Steam Vs Website FG

I am looking to get the Ultimate Edition of Fantasy Grounds, upgrading from player to GM.
    Can anyone tell me the difference between FG Steam upgrade and FG from the site?

Welcome to the FG forums and community!

There is literally no difference, the steam program is simply a wrapper around the program here. But if you can use the regional pricing from Steam it might be better there for you. If not then getting it directly from Smiteworks more of the money goes to the developers, IIRC Valve takes 30%ish of the cut.

I have one player who got FG from Steam. The other 5 all got it from the site. The only player who's ever had a problem launching FG is the one who got it via Steam. The problem was minor and resolved fairly quickly. Personally, I would rather go direct than through a 3rd party launcher.

You also get a 30 day no questions asked refund policy if you buy from the FG website. Steam's refund policy has a lot shorter time frame. Also, every 4-6 weeks the FG license keys bought via the FG store are uploaded to Steam and you can register your FG purchase with Steam.

Basically, as mentioned, the only advantage to purchasing on Steam is regional pricing.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Welcome!

One other thing to consider. Once you start buying books, modules, anything content wise pick one place and buy it all from there. If you buy D&D 5e Players Handbook on Steam there is nothing to stop you from buying it again on the Fantasy Grounds website. Personally I would buy everything direct from the FG store so you can easily see what you do not have from the bundles pages.

The one thing that Steam has that the FG store does not is a Wishlist. As you can see in my tag I am wishing they will add it to the FG store.
    If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135468

The poll question is kinda nonsensical. "Which is the better FG Program?" They're both the same program.....

The only reason I bought on steam is that I live in Japan and steam has more payment options for Japan (like convenience store payment, steam gift cards, etc.).

There is no difference in the FGU application functions and features.
    BUT by being in Steam, you are just adding a superfluous layer of DRM to the FG purchase, and also buying from steam instead of direct would cut into the take that FG gets.

I find that locking anything i purchase to my steam account, when i had other less restrictive options to pick from, to not be in my own longer term best interests.

Steam has to basically have something that no one else can offer, and that has to be what i need, before i buy anything through steam anymore. I just find that it is not really a consumer friendly enough platform in design, for me to go to it unless i have no other options.

No you aren't, you can use your key you get through steam on the version you download from here.

Thread Information