5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: FGU on Linux

FGU on Linux

So, I'm not sure if this is against the rules or something but I upgraded my Classic Ultimate to FGU Ultimate tonight and since I don't have Windows or OSX I thought I might as well give it a try on WINE. So far, it looks good. I used PlayOnLinux to manage my WINE versions, used WINE 4.21 (64 bit obviously) and installed using the EXE file. Then I made a shortcut to the FantasyGroundsUpdater EXE and updated. Then I made a shortcut to FantasyGrounds.exe and ran that.

Initially the UI would respond but then if I clicked out of the window and back in, the UI stopped responding to mouse events. This I remedied by selecting Windows XP instead of Windows 7 as the Windows version to emulate. Then text elements were blank, so I rectified that by choosing "emulate desktop" and configuring a resolution which matches my largest monitor.

This is not perfect of course, it would be nice not to have to emulate the desktop, but poking around, everything I've tried looks to be working ok. I think with some tinkering, things would work nicely.

Looking forward to the eventual Linux Native Release!!

My Linux:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
    Release: 18.04
    Codename: bionic
    Linux: 4.15.0-91-generic

trying this myself

I'm trying this myself with the same ubuntu 18.04, but I don't have a lot of experience with wine. When I use PlayOnLinux and try to install FGU, I am stopped by the need to install Visual C++ runtime, at which point it can't do it. Any help with how to get around that would appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by lesliev View Post
    So, I'm not sure if this is against the rules or something but I upgraded my Classic Ultimate to FGU Ultimate tonight and since I don't have Windows or OSX I thought I might as well give it a try on WINE. So far, it looks good. I used PlayOnLinux to manage my WINE versions, used WINE 4.21 (64 bit obviously) and installed using the EXE file. Then I made a shortcut to the FantasyGroundsUpdater EXE and updated. Then I made a shortcut to FantasyGrounds.exe and ran that.

Initially the UI would respond but then if I clicked out of the window and back in, the UI stopped responding to mouse events. This I remedied by selecting Windows XP instead of Windows 7 as the Windows version to emulate. Then text elements were blank, so I rectified that by choosing "emulate desktop" and configuring a resolution which matches my largest monitor.

This is not perfect of course, it would be nice not to have to emulate the desktop, but poking around, everything I've tried looks to be working ok. I think with some tinkering, things would work nicely.

Looking forward to the eventual Linux Native Release!!

My Linux:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
    Release: 18.04
    Codename: bionic
    Linux: 4.15.0-91-generic

There is a native Linux client on the horizon, just nothing to try yet.
    --
    I'm so bassic

FGU works with 5.0 (Ubuntu 20.04) - seems sluggish

winetricks d3dx10 dotnet472 corefonts

Just installed on Ubuntu 18.04 using Wine 4.21. Looks ok except the Button text is blank?

Quote Originally Posted by jag567 View Post
    Just installed on Ubuntu 18.04 using Wine 4.21. Looks ok except the Button text is blank?
    winetricks corefonts

Quote Originally Posted by luga View Post
    I'm trying this myself with the same ubuntu 18.04, but I don't have a lot of experience with wine. When I use PlayOnLinux and try to install FGU, I am stopped by the need to install Visual C++ runtime, at which point it can't do it. Any help with how to get around that would appreciated!!
    Oh hey! During install I got a message saying that the runtime needed to be installed and I clicked "OK" and then everything proceeded fine. I assume the installer installed it.
    Perhaps if that's not working you can try clicking "install some libraries" during the PlayOnLinux install wizard and try one of the vcrun libraries - though I'm not sure which one it uses.

Based on Gauthic's suggestions you might also want: d3dx10 dotnet472 corefonts.
    Let us know what works!

Huh. I've just tried this again with slightly different results.
    Still installing v4.0.0, using Wine 4.21 and a 64 bit "bottle". This time I chose "configure Wine" and "install libraries" and I chose d3dx10 and corefonts - but not dotnet472 because that seemed to screw up my other installation. When the Wine configurator popped up I chose Windows XP but NOT emulate desktop. This got me the FG updater running, but as soon as I clicked away and back in to the window, the buttons could no longer be clicked. So I went back out and configured it again and chose "emulate desktop". Then I could click out and back in without the UI freezing up.

I tried Windows 7 and it seemed to work as well, as long as I used "emulate desktop". Could be my imagination but it seemed slower than Windows XP.

Quote Originally Posted by lesliev View Post
    Oh hey! During install I got a message saying that the runtime needed to be installed and I clicked "OK" and then everything proceeded fine. I assume the installer installed it.
    Perhaps if that's not working you can try clicking "install some libraries" during the PlayOnLinux install wizard and try one of the vcrun libraries - though I'm not sure which one it uses.

Based on Gauthic's suggestions you might also want: d3dx10 dotnet472 corefonts.
    Let us know what works!
    This automatically happened after I chose "yes" to the question about installing VCC:
    fg-vcc-install.png

Perhaps you need a newer version if the FGU installer? I'm not sure if they are changing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gauthic View Post
    winetricks corefonts

Thanks that fixed the no text in buttons problem

Thread Information