DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Fantasy Grounds Community Online Virtual Isolation Days gaming!

Welcome to everyone both old and new, FG Classic-ers, or new Unity users!

With the ongoing COVID-19 issues and many having to endure isolation days at home, we'd like to get the community engaged to start running one-off games for anyone who's available and would like to get a game in Fantasy Grounds. Hopefully this will snowball and new contacts and gaming groups will form if people are interested in that, or just get a good old one-off session to get your gaming fix and make you feel a bit less isolated.

What's it about?

The FG Community Online Virtual Isolation Days gaming is all about FG GMs stepping up and running a one-off game for community members, not just their normal gaming groups but people they haven't played with, or have rarely played with, before. Run a one-off 3, 4, 5, 6 or more hour session, think of it kind-of like a convention slot - maybe have pregens ready for the players so you can jump right into gaming, have a short adventure planned and prepared so that you can game and reach a satisfactory conclusion within the estimated time slot, get a group of 2-6 players together and play your game!

This is all going to be pretty disorganized and relies on the GM to post their game (ideally in the LFG -> On Shots forum) and do the required communications to get their group of players together for the agreed upon slot. Then, if using voice, you can use the FG Discord server (or, less ideal, other forms of communication) and your GM instance of FG (Classic or Unity, Standard or Ultimate) to run your game – clearly stating what the requirements for license type, communications, etc. that the players will need to be able to join your game.

I’ve posted an example template below in post #2 to get you started.

NOTE - in the light of this community initiative, and the lack of available free time for key organizers, FG Con 16 will be postponed and will run at a later date.
    Last edited by Trenloe; March 18th, 2020 at 15:16.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

If you’d like to run a game, please post in the Forum -> Game Organization -> LFG –> Looking for Group -> One-Shot games sub forum
    Post a new thread for each game you intend to run, and use a specific format for the thread title to make it easier for

FG Thread title:

[COVID Games] [Ruleset] [FG Classic or Unity] [Date, Time, Timezone] – Title

For example:

[COVID Games] [PFRPG2] [Classic] [March 31st, 6pm, British Summer Time] - Trenloe’s Fantastic PF2 session.

Thread first post:

Include the following details in your first post:

Title: <The title of your gaming session>
    FG ruleset: <The ruleset used – 5E, PFRPG2, 2E, etc.>
    FG Class or FG Unity
    License type needed: Either a standard license is needed if the GM has a standard license, or a free/demo license if the GM has an Ultimate license.
    Start time and date and time zone: <The session start date and time and include the time zone>
    Duration: <Length in hours>
    TimeAndDate.com link: <provide a link to TimeAndDate.com that shows the exact session date/time/duration so that users can work out the local time for them> See post #3 below for more details on timeanddate.com. For example: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...8&p1=1327&ah=4
    Voice comm requirements: <If using voice/video list requirements>
    Other requirements: <Only other requirements – e.g. players must supply a level 5 PC, or Pregens will be provided, etc.>
    <Description of the planned session and any other info>
    Maximum number of players: <Maximum number of players you'll allow in the session - you can change your mind any time!>
    Currently playing: <list of currently selected players>
    Last edited by Trenloe; March 19th, 2020 at 20:57.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

TimeAndDate.com - time conversion

https://www.timeanddate.com/ is a useful site that allows easy conversion from a specific date/time for people in different timezones.

When you post a thread advertising your FG COVID Gaming session, in the first post of your thread (following the template shown above) make sure you provide a link to https://www.timeanddate.com/ that details when your game will happen. This is very important! Every time we run any events there are always people getting the local time for a session mixed up.

Go to https://www.timeanddate.com/ and then "Time Announcer" or use this direct link: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedform.html

This will show you this page:

Fill out the page using the same info in your game post - use the title used, make sure you enter your local location in "Event Location" and the local date and time of the session, plus the duration.

For example, using the same info from my example in the previous post:

When you've entered all the details, click the "Show Result" button and you'll see something like the screenshot below.

Double check that everything is OK and if so, select the URL in the browser header (pointed by by the arrows in the screenshot below) - copy this and paste it into the TimeAndDate.com link entry in your game advertising post details.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trenloe; March 18th, 2020 at 15:29.

Some further info:

1. Post your game a little in advance. Don't expect to be able to immediately pick up a full set of players with only a few hours notice.
    2. Run the games using Fantasy Grounds, and the “live” setting. This can be using FG Classic or FG Unity – but you must state which one, you cannot host a game for classic players with a Unity GM and vice versa. The GM should have a minimum of a GM/Standard license for the version of FG you intend to use (Classic or Unity). With a standard license you can only GM for players who have a standard or ultimate license.
    3. You can advertise events elsewhere (we encourage that), but try to keep the event listings and discussions on the FG forums. This isn't a hard requirement, but it makes it easier for players to find games and communicate per event if it's all in the same place. Note: GMs are required to communicate with their players for pre-event confirmation and coordination.
    4. Try to use the FG Discord server for in-session communications – this helps to reduce confusion as to how to join. You can use other forms of voice/video comms if you want – if you do so please be very clear to the players what they will need to join your game.
    5. Keep it simple for players to sign-up and participate. Have pregens ready, try not to have too complex pre-game player preparation.
    6. Try to keep games fairly newbie friendly - we get a lot of people trying out Fantasy Grounds and new RPG systems. If you expect a certain level of knowledge of FG or the system you're running, be very clear in your event post and subsequent communications.
    7. We assume that language and content is PG/13 certificate level. If you intend to run a more mature game please indicate that in your game listing.
    Last edited by Trenloe; March 18th, 2020 at 18:00.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for hoping to organize this. Great to see everyone stepping up.

Myself I have reached out to a cousin of mine who has a young child. I'll be running a daily session of my nephew and some of his friends on a daily basis, to help keep them socializing with each other etc. And helping to bring the next generation into RPGs.

Hope everyone does what they can!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Seeing as life is imitating art, I hope some GMs run some Pandemic and zombie apocalypse games so art can imitate life imitating art. How about some Apocalypse World, too?

I'll see if I can run some of the games I intended to run for FG-Con.

Great idea!

Also, during the quarantine, SmiteWorks could upgrade all standard licenses to ultimate, I am member of an online discord FG community, and you cant imagine how many people is searching for a game right now in the internet, and opening licenses to ultimate during this time would help people learning about FG. There are lots of standard gm that are preparing games and cant host newcomer-demo players. Also it might encourage standard holders to upgrade to ultimate when the quarantine ends. Online newcomers are moving to other VTT.

In my humble opinion it is a win-win for SmiteWorks.

Could I ask you guys to consider supporting Tabletop Events?
    their website is: https://tabletop.events/

The site offers Tabletop Game Convention Management - easy online registration, sign-ups, etc. I used this for the first time this past weekend for Virtual Gary Con, and It made finding games a lot faster and easier. Like many, the recent Pandemic is hitting them hard, and any and all support they can get would be helpful. (This site might also be great for FG Cons).

Thank you for reading!

Thread Information