STAR TREK 2d20

FG Unity - License Check Failed

Hi, I've got an Ultimate Licence and use the current/official FG release as a DM toolset for running the game in person. Remote play is something I've been sporadically trying to get working for many months now, but never with serious effort since... you know... we play in person usually. With everyone staying home it's time to fix this remote play issue.

I want to use the new Unity version unless that's not possible - from what I've read in recent updates, everything should work just fine.

The first issue, and the one I want to focus on for this post, is a licencing issue I get from with FGU.

FG Unity pops up the following license error when I start up.
    [3/17/2020 10:54:36 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] License check failed - Check your FG Settings to make sure you have the correct license key.
    [3/17/2020 10:54:37 AM] Launcher scene starting.

I think I originally purchased FG directly from the Smiteworks store, but I've made at least some subsequent purchases through steam. The accounts are linked. Steam says I have two licences, one for FG, one for the Ultimate upgrade. I have tried both of these keys in the launcher setup screen, but get the error regardless of which is entered. Not everything is broken - FG knows about my purchased content and updates everything as expected... the license error appears but doesn't stop me from launching the program (and I have full access to everything local.)

Please help me get this sorted out. It's possible this issue is related to my other issue, but we'll work on that after this part is resolved.

Hi Kirzai, welcome to the forums.

Unity is a separate purchase and your Classic license keys will not work with it. (This is on the basis that I understand that you have downloaded the Unity Beta client and are trying to get it to work with your Classic keys - if that isn't the case can you give us more details.)
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hi Zacchaeus, thanks for responding.
    Where do I find the key that works with Unity? Checking through my kickstarter backing correspondence, my Ultimate key is linked to the Unity kickstarter. There is a line that says
    "Although you may now show a license key for Fantasy Grounds Unity, access to the program will come later during the Alpha and Beta stages, depending on your backer level." but I don't see any correspondence about obtaining a new key.
    Last edited by Kirzai; March 17th, 2020 at 19:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirzai View Post
    Hi Zacchaeus, thanks for responding.
    Where do I find the key that works with Unity? Checking through my kickstarter backing correspondence, my Ultimate key is linked to the Unity kickstarter. There is a line that says
    "Although you may now show a license key for Fantasy Grounds Unity, access to the program will come later during the Alpha and Beta stages, depending on your backer level." but I don't see any correspondence about obtaining a new key.
    Go to the store and click on the store drop down menu and select order history and you'll see your Unity purchase on that list along with your key.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

As Zacchaeus mentions, your FG Unity license key will be in your store order history. This assumes that you filled out the Kickstarter survey/order sent out months ago.

Some info in a Kickstarter update here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2551125
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks to you both!
    As instructed, I went to the store and poked around in my purchase history to find the Unity key. That was instantly recognized when I entered it (little green text saying it's a valid key, even before saving the changes). The license key error is now gone.

I'll poke around a bit more and see if this has addresses my other issue, if not I'll make another post for that.

This appears to have fixed my other issue (not being able to connect remotely.)
    My server now appears on the Cloud lobby list and I can connect to it from another computer.
    Thanks again.

Can anyone confirm that the cloud lobby (possibly all client/server functions) doesn't work if there's not a valid license? It seems highly likely, but I'm not sure. Certainly sounds plausible considering the ability to host games is related to license level. (I just would have expected an error message to that effect when you attempt to connect, rather than the connection just flat out not working.)

You can not host an online game without a valid license. That's expected. We have some near term plans to rework the launcher screen to make that more obvious.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information