5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Effect/Action coding on items, spells and features

I know this is a long shot, but I was disappointed that FGU didn't have any advancements in this over FG Classic.

As a DM, I spend too much time creating effects for magic items and class features, or redoing spell effects. FG's text parsing algorithm is amazing for automatically generating the spell etc effects, but it's far from perfect.

Currently I have a number of spare characters (over 10) that have all of the spells and class features hand-coded in them. Every time one of my players levels up, or gains a new item or spell, I have to stop them from using e.g. the spell list and pull over the effect from the custom character. It's very annoying, and frustrating that I'm not using all of the pre-built material.

What I'd like to see is for some of that 'magic' coding to be exposed in the UI and allow us to edit it when the text parsing isn't quite right. I've attached a mockup of what I think would be really helpful - basically all items, spells, and features gain a new tab called 'Actions' or 'Effects' where the auto-generated effects are pre-populated. The DM (or the FG team) can then go in and edit or add new effects to the spell/item/feature. Then when the spell/item/feature is dragged into the 'Actions' tab of the character sheet, the effects are automatically added.

This would be a massive improvement, especially for magic items and class features. Even if FG didn't code these for me, the ability for me to manually add these effects to the actual item would be wonderful
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to look at more advanced effects coding at this time. We are all working towards a FGU release; which does not include any overhauls of the built-in rulesets. I am in the process of training up two junior ruleset developers to help in the long term; but the effects system is too complicated for them at this time and they have other projects assigned that we've talked about already (5E character builder wizard, standardized window headers, standardized sidebars, theater of the mind combat).

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Zenarios View Post
    I know this is a long shot, but I was disappointed that FGU didn't have any advancements in this over FG Classic.

As a DM, I spend too much time creating effects for magic items and class features, or redoing spell effects. FG's text parsing algorithm is amazing for automatically generating the spell etc effects, but it's far from perfect.

Currently I have a number of spare characters (over 10) that have all of the spells and class features hand-coded in them. Every time one of my players levels up, or gains a new item or spell, I have to stop them from using e.g. the spell list and pull over the effect from the custom character. It's very annoying, and frustrating that I'm not using all of the pre-built material.

What I'd like to see is for some of that 'magic' coding to be exposed in the UI and allow us to edit it when the text parsing isn't quite right. I've attached a mockup of what I think would be really helpful - basically all items, spells, and features gain a new tab called 'Actions' or 'Effects' where the auto-generated effects are pre-populated. The DM (or the FG team) can then go in and edit or add new effects to the spell/item/feature. Then when the spell/item/feature is dragged into the 'Actions' tab of the character sheet, the effects are automatically added.

This would be a massive improvement, especially for magic items and class features. Even if FG didn't code these for me, the ability for me to manually add these effects to the actual item would be wonderful
    Nice idea

By the way, you do not need a custom character for such things. Create/Edit the spell-action in the actions tab and drag&drop it back into the spells banner/list In that way you can create new spell lists with your edited actions (similarly I save there item actions etc. (which I also link into the item's description)) Not exactly what you're asking for but that is how you can edit the spells' actions (you may have to re-format the spell's description text; the built-in parser will not overwrite your edited actions )

I know exactly what you mean by effects. It's one reason I put together the Advanced Effects extension. I'm not a fan of parsing for effects... I like having it in the UI and the process something anyone could manage w/o having to know the specific parsing language.

I think it does a lot of what you're asking but perhaps I'm not understanding your issues entirely.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    I know exactly what you mean by effects. It's one reason I put together the Advanced Effects extension. I'm not a fan of parsing for effects... I like having it in the UI and the process something anyone could manage w/o having to know the specific parsing language.

I think it does a lot of what you're asking but perhaps I'm not understanding your issues entirely.
    I guess that is some part of what he seeks But he also wants something similar for spells, to edit their parsed actions in the way as in the posted image in the first post (Or, moreover, maybe some editing of the parser itself. That would be cool, too, some window with a table of strings and next to the strings their interpretation by the parser; together with the ability to edit these and add new strings and to define how these custom strings get parsed But that would be surely complicated A separate tab with the actions and the ability to edit them for the spells is surely "easier" to code )
    Last edited by Kelrugem; March 12th, 2020 at 02:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    I guess that is some part of what he seeks But he also wants something similar for spells, to edit their parsed actions in the way as in the posted image in the first post (Or, moreover, maybe some editing of the parser itself. That would be cool, too, some window with a table of strings and next to the strings their interpretation by the parser; together with the ability to edit these and add new strings and to define how these custom strings get parsed But that would be surely complicated A separate tab with the actions and the ability to edit them for the spells is surely "easier" to code )
    Aye, I saw he wanted effects of features. Kinda why I added "does a lot of what you're asking"

I actually had forgotten that 5E doesn't have effects on spells...I've worked on 2E ruleset so much I forget what I've added (2E has it). It wouldn't be that difficult to add similar Advanced Effect options to spells (and feats) as I've done with the others (items/pc/etc).

It's out of scope for me right now but if someone wants to work on it I'd be happy to help.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to look at more advanced effects coding at this time. We are all working towards a FGU release; which does not include any overhauls of the built-in rulesets.
    Yup I understand that, I wasn't expecting it before the FGU release, but it'd be nice if it could be considered for future updates.

I supposed I'm looking at FG with fresh eyes while I'm testing out FGU and noticing the bits that don't quite work as well.

Also to clarify, I wasn't asking for more advanced coding than the current system allows - I just want the existing effect coding more clear/editable
    Last edited by Zenarios; March 12th, 2020 at 03:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    Create/Edit the spell-action in the actions tab and drag&drop it back into the spells banner/list
    This is really good to know, thanks!! I'll start moving them back into the list.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post

Thanks, I'll check this out, this might give me what I'm looking for (or at least part of it)

Blog Entries
    I believe this idea, or something like it, is already on the wishlist (link in Moon's signature). But if not, make sure to add it so that it doesn't get forgotten about and other users can vote on it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The issue with the Advanced Effects extension, is that it doesn't work with FGU, or at least doesn't seem to. Perhaps I'm missing something? I've been looking for some means to attach effects onto items, not just weapons, and have them apply when the item is equipped. This seems to work if you set the type of the item as armor, and you can then apply at least an AC bonus. I'd like to be able to apply any number of effects to items that give characters skill bonus, stat bonus, and so on. While I've been searching through the forums, it's been difficult finding the answers I'm looking for.

I did download the extension and placed it in the extensions folder, but it does not appear in my options to enable it.

Thread Information