STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 9 First 12345 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by D3nnis3n View Post
    I don't even have 3.3.10 yet - so it can't be the new update either. This is just not how good software should work. I wasted around 2 hours to try finding out what could be wrong, but there simply is nothing wrong.
    I'm sorry you're having issues and you're obviously frustrated. But saying "there simply is nothing wrong" is probably not accurate. If everyone else who has been running updates since FG v3.3.10 (I would guess thousands of people) were having the same issue then I'd agree with you. But they're not...

Over the last few years we have had the occasional user with similar issues as you, that had something less obvious causing the problem and took the same stance you did. But in the end it was a local computer issue blocking the update operations. Keep looking for something that might be blocking it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I'm sorry for your frustration. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the software; as it's working for thousands of other users. This isn't something that anyone else is seeing, so it seems to be unique to your setup. That's what I've been trying to help determine, what is unique on your machine that is blocking.

You can uninstall FG without losing data. All your campaign and character data will stay in the place it was built; just the files installed by updater are removed by uninstaller. If you do this, delete everything related to FG from Windows Firewall as well.

Can you also provide a list from the Add or Remove Programs section of Windows with all of the applications you have installed? Maybe myself or one of the other users can spot something that could cause problems. Please don't leave any out, as the full list really is necessary to do this correctly.

Regards,
    JPG
    Sure, you'll have to live with seeing some cracked games then, though
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I'm sorry you're having issues and you're obviously frustrated. But saying "there simply is nothing wrong" is probably not accurate. If everyone else who has been running updates since FG v3.3.10 (I would guess thousands of people) were having the same issue then I'd agree with you. But they're not...

Over the last few years we have had the occasional user with similar issues as you, that had something less obvious causing the problem and took the same stance you did. But in the end it was a local computer issue blocking the update operations. Keep looking for something that might be blocking it.
    It's not only me. It started with the downloads slowing down extremely last week over time, which also has begun at one player of my table, so it's not unlikely he'll have the same issue soon. Hence i'm suspecting overload issues or something else.

Also, the last part of the program list, as it didnt fit into the other post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just reinstalled, can't update (in that case install). Thankfully i backupped the whole Fantasy Grounds folder so i could restore it for my session on Sunday.

I am not really proficient with that, thence, my following advice might not be correct (I believe Moon Wizard already checked that with sending the link to the patch test site?). You're using vodafone, did you check whether its secure net is blocking something? Probably you can test it there: https://securenet.vodafone.co.uk/ (or maybe use a German site instead? Only found this after some research)

EDIT: By my short research it seems that Vodafone's secure net can block such things, too?

SecureNet is a paid service i don't have and that is only available on mobile network (at least in Germany), so no, that's not possible. I'm not on mobile, i'm on their GBit line.

Quote Originally Posted by D3nnis3n View Post
    SecureNet is a paid service i don't have and that is only available on mobile network, so no, that's not possible. I'm not on mobile, i'm on their GBit line.
    ah okay Sadly I didn't find any other possible source (yet) coming from Vodafone (or something else) which could help to understand what is going on

In Germany, providers are not allowed to block stuff, so it's not possible that this is the case. (Well, despite the FG Updater does something that would destabilize the network of Vodafone and be deemed an attack, but then we've got a different issue ...)
    There is only a single case in which they can and must block stuff and that is a court order, for example for kinox there is one.
    That is done via DNS blocking though, hence i'm simply using Google DNS to still visit court-blocked sites.

You know, it's not fun for me to be upset. But as you can see it's not working despite all the tips here. It's not working after nothing has been changed. It's not working for the most pricey stuff on my PC. The Adobe Suite is company paid. So yeh, that upsets me, definately.
    But you'll need to see everything else on my computer is running fine. Imagine i had these problems with a simple updater at steam. That would be ridiculous, no? Hence, for me this means faulty product until proven otherwise - at least in the first 6 months after purchase, as our law specifies.
    It doesn't matter legally if it runs on other PCs. It must work on mine. That's what i expected when i bought it. And yes, for a 300 bucks software this IS frustrating as hell, especially as it's a simple updater, all other updaters i have on my PC run fine - from companies probably way smaller than FG.
    Can't see how i couldn't be upset.
    Last edited by D3nnis3n; March 6th, 2020 at 20:04.

My Internet Connection should be fine: https://www.speedtest.net/result/9103263480
    I got Dual Stack IPV4 / IPV6, so that should also not be an issue. The PC is connected via 2.5G LAN.
    I even let Ad-Aware (which i just installed for this) do a run searching for a virus that only affects the FG updater, it only found a crack in a zip that i forgot where it is. (So at least it was worth something, lol)

There might be an issue, but i don't see it being on my computer. It says the network times out. That doesn't look like a issue on my end, cause i do not have a single other timeout to anywhere with any game, updater or program on my computer.
    (Just like you don't have any other clients having the same issue - same argumentation ...)
    Maybe you got some debug option where it actually gives more information than just this?

From the perspective of the application, it makes a network request to fetch that URL to the operating system; and the operating system never responds. This is a core part of operating systems (i.e. network socket communication). That's all the information that the operating system provides back to the application in these cases (i.e. no response from request to OS); there is no other reason provided by OS. As I have mentioned, there is a block somewhere between program and update server that is causing the time outs.

This is an applications that I can see potentially having an impact:
    * JDownloader 2
    Also, you mentioned AdAware, which is an application that can block application URL requests. Many programs like this have tried to block connections before (MalwareBytes, Avast, AdAware, etc.)

Additionally, can you check which Internet extensions you might have installed for Edge or Chrome that might block ads or other content?

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information