FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last

Updates not working

Hello,
    i once again have an issue with FantasyGrounds, this time in updating stuff.
    For some reason the connection to the server has been very slow for the past few days and now i cannot download updates anymore at all since today.
    At the same time most of my players had fine connection, though there is one other that had the same issue, but can still download updates - just utterly slow like it has been for me for about the last week.

Servers down? IP blocked? (I have a semi-static IP, it only changes every few months ipv4 wise)

Nothing changed network wise on my end. I still only use Windows Defender, Fantasy Grounds is still allowed in Windows Firewall and Windows Defender and the router still has not activated youth protection list or any other blockages. My provider does not block any pages. I'm using Google DNS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Network errors such as this are most likely caused by either your Anti virus or something on your router such as flood protection. Make sure that there aren't multiple rules for FG in Windows Defender; if so delete them all and create a new one. Make sure that the new rul covers the entire install folder - and if you can't except an entire folder create rules for the updater.xe as well as the client.exe.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Who is your ISP?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Vodafone Germany.

Cannot find any issues with Windows Security, everything configured correctly. Disabling doesnt help either. No Changes made when the issue arised. Highly suspect a FG issue. Maybe my IP is blocked. I never had such issues with any other software.

Did you delete any existing rules in Windows Defender and make new ones? Since FG has changed you may need new rules. Can we assume as well that you don't have any other kind of anti virus type software running such as Malwarebytes? If you do then refresh any rules in those as well. Make doubly sure that there isn't something on your router, especially the Youth Protection thing or any other rules which restricts incoming traffic. Something, somewhere, on your security set up is preventing FG from operating correctly.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I already told you that even disabling Windows Defender and Firewall did not help. I do not have any other security software installed. No changes were made since it last worked.

The router has no rules to prevent ans incoming traffic.

Sigh, probably going to get refunds and moving to Roll20. Never had so many connection issues with any other software. None at all actually.

Even disabled Windows Defender can stiff have an effect and prevent things from working properly. It is better to delete any existing rules and create new ones. As noted things have changed since it last work - FG has changed and that means your anti virus software could be seeing it as a new program rather than an update to an existing one.

D3nnis3n,

We apologize for any hassle. We are constantly trying to make sure that our products are registered with various security software, and resolve blocks. However, network security is a constantly moving target, and communication to small application vendors on how to prevent issues is non-existent.

We do know that error message indicates that something between the FG Updater and the FG Update Server on the Internet is blocking HTTPS requests used by updater.

Since every network situation is unique, we recommend checking a few main items:
    * Make sure that your network connection settings on Windows are set to Private (not Public, which is higher security)
    * Check to see if your Windows Firewall (or other security software) is blocking access for FG.
    * Check to see if you have any internet filtering (or parental control) software that may be blocking fantasygrounds.com web addresses. Also, check these settings on your router.

To check fantasygrounds.com patch server blocks, you can try this link in your web browser. If that fails, then something is blocking that sub-domain.
    https://patch.fantasygrounds.com/test.html

Additionally, we had one report some time ago about a German user reporting that his router had blocked fantasygrounds.com, because of a German-only setting on their router related to the "Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien" that was blocking some links. Disabling that option on their router fixed the issue for that user.

Regards,
    JPG

Hello Moon,
    I was that user. Its still disabled. Also i got a different error back then, 404 - not Network Timeout like this time.

I can open the link you gave me just fine, it presents me with successful. Still, i cant get Updates.

My Network is set to private, Windows Firewall has an execption for FG but the Firewall is currently disabled. I do not have any filtering active nor ans restrictions for the PC set.

Players connecting to me works fine, if that is of any relevance. Just cant update.

I even checked the Windows Defender rules - still to no avail.
    Can i please just get those updates via a zip file or something until you are able to fix your update servers? Sorry, but i don't see any possibility that this is caused on my end, given your tips all didnt help. Software should simply run out of the Box - like any other software. Imagine i had to triple check all this for steam updates - that would be ridiculous.

If the main application is working, but the updater is not; that indicates that something is specifically blocking the FGUpdaterEngine.exe application (which is the name of the FG updater executable). Have you checked specifically for that application or to allow it directly? Are you using any other Internet/network security program other than Windows Firewall?

The problem with providing a download is that the update affects a lot of files; and I wouldn't be able to provide updates for any purchased DLC.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information