STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Automating Improved Critical (Critical on 19 and 20) for Player characters in 5E

Can we automate the Improved Critical Feature (Critical on 19 and 20) in 5E for player characters?

I understand that you can easily do this for NPCs by adding the Trait 'Improved Critical'; I've tested this and it works fine. But how can we do this for players who take on the Fighter class Champion, Improved Critical Feature? I've tried dropping the feature onto the abilities tab of the character sheet but it adds "Improved Critical" to the characters "Features" and Not the Traits; I've tried adding a new Trait called "Improved Critical" but neither have any effect when the player rolls a 19 on the attack roll.

Any ideas?

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yes, that works - but having to modify every weapon that character uses isn't ideal, is it? I would be far better if PC characters worked in the same manner as for NPCs i.e. simply add an "improved critical" Trait to the character sheet. Not really what I had hoped for but at least it works so, thanks...
    Last edited by Moriarity; March 4th, 2020 at 16:36.

The fifth bullet point reads:
    If you click the magnifying glass to the right of the 'WEAPONS' header line you open a dialog where you can edit the crit range of melee and ranged weapons and specify additional dice for melee and ranged weapons on a critical hit. Note that this will apply to all weapons of the type selected and not just single weapons which might have such special abilities.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I had to use the description in your post to search the page in your link. Crikey, that little gem is well hidden! That works brilliantly, thanks again for you help.

It would be nice to have it supported via effects for abilities such as Hexblade's Curse.

Quote Originally Posted by Venia View Post
    It would be nice to have it supported via effects for abilities such as Hexblade's Curse.
    Hi Venus, welcome to FG.

You can add an effect of CRIT: x as an effect to a player. You can’t have it on all the time though so you’d need to apply it only when it is required.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Edit: Figured it out. I coded the first option, activated it and drug the weapon attack to a hot key. Iterated (clicked the button) until it rolled both a NAT 20 and 19. Option one is the answer.

So would the Oath of Heroisms Legendary Strike look like

Legendary Strike;CRIT:19

or

Legendary Strike;CRIT:19-20
    Last edited by Iggi; March 29th, 2020 at 13:17.

Crit: 19
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

hello,
    is it possible to change the crit rules ?
    I would play Joan of Arc RPG who is a 5E SRD based game.
    In this game when you rolled a CRIT (nat 20) , all the weapons are doing an explosive D10 to damage.
    thx

Thread Information