STAR TREK 2d20

Automating or speeding through NPC actions in the combat tracker

Hi All,

I've searched the forums and also watched a lot of YouTube videos on running combat and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

There's a lot of clicking from the DM point of view when NPCs from opposing sides start a fight with each other. Realistically speaking you might have a small number of them within melee range while everyone else is would either stand around or use ranged attacks. Is there a method/strategy/extension to automate targeting and attack rolls for a large number of NPCs? Something that would pick an opposing side from their perspective (hostile vs friendly) randomly, roll an attack, and damage die would be convenient. A good end point would be to have something like the AI in some of the older D&D games like Pool of Radiance or Azure Bonds that gives the NPCs a turn even if it isn't that smart.

Manually I could break encounters up into waves with reinforcements arriving for both sides periodically to keep the combat tracker clean. That's an option, but having more of a video game feel would be kind of cool. It would also have more of a dramatic effect of dropping a lot of NPCs on the players than have several waves. Anyone know of any free or commercial resources that enhance the combat tracker?

There isn't anything that would automate this kind of thing. The best way to handle such combats would be to do it as theatre of the mind and just roll a d6 or something to determine how many of the defenders and/or attackers dies that round.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    i like waves because it reduces the wipeout that an AoE spell can cause
    players also need to learn to not throw all their limited use powerful attacks out straight away that way
    monsters are smart too
    wave one attacks
    wave two join in from the flank
    wave three has something special

Thread Information