5E Character Create Playlist

MacOS Installation locations

Just a minor suggestion, but the macOS installer probably shouldn't place anything directly in the user's home directory. The Smiteworks folder should most likely be located either in ~/Documents, if the user is expected to browse the folder to manage or edit files, or ~/Library/Application Support.

I second this. Please allow optional install locations, specifically ~/Applications.

Good security practice dictates NOT logging in as a admin user. By putting the main application file in the users home directory, the program can be updated easily without admin rights.

Standard practice on multi-user OSes, such as Windows and Mac, is to install applications in the Applications folder. (which is /Applications on Mac, and /Program Files/ on Windows) In fact, we use the standard specified in .Net, which mirrors that behavior.

The data folder is user-specific; so currently defaults to the user folder, under /SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/. It contains far more than your documents, but all the data files that run within the program. The only time you need to even open the data folder is when you add assets, and there's a button in the UI to take you straight there.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Standard practice on multi-user OSes, such as Windows and Mac, is to install applications in the Applications folder. (which is /Applications on Mac, and /Program Files/ on Windows) In fact, we use the standard specified in .Net, which mirrors that behavior.

The data folder is user-specific; so currently defaults to the user folder, under /SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/. It contains far more than your documents, but all the data files that run within the program. The only time you need to even open the data folder is when you add assets, and there's a button in the UI to take you straight there.

Regards,
    JPG
    That is why you are a developer and I am not... :^)

Makes sense. I seem to always download a ton of (content, I think) updates each time a I open up FGU on my Mac. Was wondering if that is because I am logged in as a standard user and FGU is installed in my /Applications folder. Not a big issue as I realize that FGU is still very Beta. That is the basis of my request, as well as security concerns.

So is it reasonable to add the option to install the FGU executable in ~/Applications? Just curious.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JSF View Post
    That is why you are a developer and I am not... :^)

Makes sense. I seem to always download a ton of (content, I think) updates each time a I open up FGU on my Mac. Was wondering if that is because I am logged in as a standard user and FGU is installed in my /Applications folder. Not a big issue as I realize that FGU is still very Beta. That is the basis of my request, as well as security concerns.

So is it reasonable to add the option to install the FGU executable in ~/Applications? Just curious.
    If I understand correctly, FG is already getting installed int eh applications folder, it is the FG Data (which has no executables, just data) that is getting stored in the user folder since it is 'user data'.

Or am I misunderstanding?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

LordEntrails,

Yes, I think you are correct. My apologies for the confusion. I just realized that fact.

Disregard my ramblings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JSF View Post
    LordEntrails,

Yes, I think you are correct. My apologies for the confusion. I just realized that fact.

Disregard my ramblings.
    lol, never a problem

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information