5E Character Create Playlist

Looking for 1 or 2 newbie players

What I am looking for in a player: I strongly prefer new players, new to D&D and new to Fantasy Grounds. I like to run my games as introductions to D&D. As some of my other players are quite new, this game will be a learning experience for them. A large helping of patience is an absolute necessity.

I will not tolerate a D&D rules lawyer, if you are an expert in D&D or expect to constantly say this is how other DM’s do this… this game is not for you. I am not looking for someone that wants to constantly look everything up, and challenge the DM on every decision as that interrupts game play.

I prefer older players, but that is not an absolute, I have played with some fantastic 16 year olds and some terrible 45 year olds.

I tend to rely on FG to handle most combat rolls, and make personal off the cuff decisions on what abilities should apply on nearly everything else. I will listen to reason, but don’t want the focus of the game to become Player vs DM, when it should be Character vs the Story, opponents and situations

I do not want a meta-gamer. I want a player that will suspend disbelief, and make decisions based on what their character would do, not what the player of a D&D game would do to best maximize results according to the rules. ( this is why I like new players, they focus more on what they want to do, than on a set of rules )

I strongly discourage people constantly telling other players what they should do, play your own character, let them play theirs. This is particularly important for people new to the game. Making suggestions occasionally is ok, but if everyone’s turn starts with one player telling others how to play their character, I will put a stop to that.

What I am like as a DM: I am what you would call rules light DM, I rely less on the rules and more on what fits with the game and on our play style that changes depending on the mix of players. I am more focused on the story than I am the rules. There are several general house rules which will becomes apparent in the first few light battles.

I have played D&D and other RPG’s like Traveller since the mid 70’s from when it came as 3 pamphlets in a white box ( somewhere in the garage ) though 3rd edition. I stopped playing in the late 80’s as I became a father and a general adult with responsibilities. I have retired in the last few years and low and behold, have become a kid again with no responsibilities ( well fewer anyway )

My games are very Tolkienish ( is that a word? ) Good vs Evil with it being usually well defined as to which is which.

I don’t spend all my time pouring over rules and systems, but on story elements and game flow. Battles are pre-set up in FG ( this will be the 4th run though of this campaign ) . My game is in need of a re-write but I keep putting it off as more people have heard about it and want to play. So I have committed to one last party before I stop and work the re-write probably for the Unity version of FG.

Disliking Meta-gamers I have altered every single NPC and Monster from the D&D monster manual used in my game. You will never face anything that is directly from the book, you will face Orc’s, but don’t assume you know everything about Orc’s for example …. you don’t. Different Orcs may carry different weapons, and may have different skills, and even levels.

I have a lot of patience and love new players, and will gladly take the time to make sure someone understands what is happening.

I am looking for players that will commit, for the sake of the other players to make every effort to be at a game session and be on time and help to schedule each game for the following week.

My games tend to be story driven, hence are somewhat on rails. They are not sandbox games. Some have complained about this, others have thanked me profoundly for it. It is a style of game that some prefer.

FG License: Players only need Free Demo ( GM has Ultimate License )

Game System: D&D 5E

Time Zone: Most of the other players are EDT so times are posted as that.

Day of week and time: To be determined by players, the consensus seems to be Saturday evenings at 8:30PM EDT for a 3 hour session.

Planned start date: Feb 15th 2020 ( this is open to change by the players, nearly all scheduling will be decided by the players as a group ) That date is only 2 days from now, it will depend on how fast we can create characters and bring the new players up to speed.

Duration & Frequency: Weekly – session length is up to players, I hope for 3 hour sessions, but can do 2-4 hour sessions

Term: To the end of the home brew campaign, usually between 16 - 23, 3 hour sessions

Text or Voice: Voice Only, Mic required

Voice software used: Discord

Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? There is one player that may live stream/record it.

Roleplay & Combat mix: 50/50

Number of Players in game & needed: 4-5 players total, we already have 3 ( perhaps 4 )

Character starting level & equipment: New characters, 1st level, standard basic starting equipment. As other characters are already created, the party is in need of a Tank, Fighter or Paladin preferred. Characters will be created directly into the Campaign with my assistance.

Character restrictions: Only Good alignment ( my games are very good vs evil ), Single class characters only. Prefer classic classes, Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Wizard, Paladin, Ranger. Other classes will be considered on a case by case basis. Druid for example would be OK but would not consider a Monk character. Barbarians are fine, but Sorcerers would depend on several things. Evil characters will not be considered at all. A good hearted Rogue however who does like to steal is perfectly ok.

Details of your scenario: Homebrew Campaign, magic rather rare in my world, you wont find magical items for sale and any found are considered very special. This will be my 4th run though of this small campaign, and will be the last time I run it before a major re-write. Game uses Syrenscape ( by the GM ) to add background sounds in Discord, but it is not used extensively for every situation.

You will be starting on a ship headed to a large island for various reasons with other passengers on board. A place unknown to you with a minor mission to fulfill. Events will sweep you up into an epic struggle. You have spent some time aboard ship with your fellow passengers and once landed they will literally be the only people you know.

The best way to reply is to PM me and tell me something about yourself, experience, and style of play ( if any ), feel free to ask any questions you like..

Something I forgot to post, using core rulebooks only, not using Xnathar's or other additions, as an introduction to D&D game, we are keeping it simple.
    Last edited by DwightLee; February 13th, 2020 at 19:05.

I want to thank everyone that showed an interest, the player slots have now been filled and the campaign is officially underway

Thread Information