FG Spreadshirt Swag

Custom Spell Caster

I signed up for the 52-in-52 I have everything input for the new class, but when I create a new character it doesn't add the "Primal Casting" actions in the actions window. Is there a way that I can have it do this automatically like with Druid and other casters, or is my only option to go in and add it manually?

The naming of the class feature (entered on the second tab of the class) is used in the FG code to do level specific automation when a class is dropped onto a PC.

With that said, the spells per day table within the "xxx spellcasting" entry is just for info, that is not used in automation of allocating spells per day. That is hard coded into the ruleset based off the class name.

If you have a class feature whose name ends in "spellcasting" (no quotes) then FG should create the basic spell class entry, but the number of spells per level won't be applied unless the base class name (e.g. Druid) match exactly (case sensitive) with the name of the class record. So, unless you call your class is called "Druid" (or one of the other base spellcasting names) you won't be able to get the spells per day data populated - you'll need to manually enter this. But the ...spellcasting class feature will create the base spell class entries in the actions tab.

For example, this is a PC created with a copy of the Druid class, called something other than druid:

Moving forwards I'm thinking of adding somewhere with the class features to have something like "inherits class spells per level from class..." to allow a custom spell casting class to use the spell level progression of a base class that's hard coded into the ruleset.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So I added "spellcasting" to the Feature, but it wouldn't take. I tested it with "Primal Spellcasting" and that work as described. I have attached a screenshot with both of them side by side, to see if I missed something.

Screenshot 2020-02-11 14.02.41.png

**edited to include a better screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
    So I added "spellcasting" to the Feature, but it wouldn't take. I tested it with "Primal Spellcasting" and that work as described. I have attached a screenshot with both of them side by side, to see if I missed something.
    Did you make a copy of an existing spellcasting feature and edit that, or did you just create a new entry?

There's some code in the ruleset to try to identify the spellcasting key ability - based off some standard wording used by Paizo. It looks for since your key ability is xxxx where xxxx is the full ability name, e.g. wisdom, intelligence, etc..

It also won't apply the automation if there is already am ability of the same name in the Class Abilities section of the Abilities tab.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I spent this morning in narrowing down what it is that triggers the appearance of the spells in the actions tab. I have it narrowed down to the following paragraph from the "Primal Spellcasting" feature.

Some of your spells require you to attempt a spell attack roll to see how effective they are, or have your enemies roll against your spell DC (typically by attempting a saving throw). Since your key ability is Wisdom, your spell attack rolls and spell DCs use your Wisdom modifier. Details on calculating these statistics appear on page 447.
    I was able to change it to the following and still have it work;

Some of your runes require you to attempt a spell attack roll to see how effective they are, or have your enemies roll against your spell DC (typically by attempting a saving throw). Since your key ability is Wisdom, your rune attack rolls and rune DCs use your Wisdom modifier. Details on calculating these statistics appear on page 447.
    Anyway, I just wanted to post a followup so that if anyone else is running into a similar issue this might help to point them in the right direction. Also a big thank you to you Trenloe for pointing me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
    I spent this morning in narrowing down what it is that triggers the appearance of the spells in the actions tab. I have it narrowed down to the following paragraph from the "Primal Spellcasting" feature.

I was able to change it to the following and still have it work;

Anyway, I just wanted to post a followup so that if anyone else is running into a similar issue this might help to point them in the right direction. Also a big thank you to you Trenloe for pointing me in the right direction.
    Glad you got it working. As I mentioned, the ruleset only needs since your key ability is xxxx where xxxx is the full ability name.

Thread Information