5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Cannot Run - Get C++ error, no EXE and updater does not work

See title. The C++ install window gives me an error that I already have the product installed. After installation, there is no exe in the folder to run the program. The updater opens, does not show any update progress and abruptly closes. I have tried installing multiple times, and running both the setup exe and the updater as administrator. I even tried running the vc_dist.x64.exe as admin as well. Nothing works.

Anyone else with this issue? I saw there was another thread like this, but that one did not mention the C++ redist not working so I made a different one so that it wouldn't get buried.

Thanks

I just ran the installer and got the same issue (because I already have the libraries installed as well). However, after hitting close, the installer continued the installation process, and ran the updater. I'll need to circle with Ryan to see if we can detect whether it's already installed before offering option; however, that shouldn't block the rest of the install process from completing.

* What OS (name and version) are you running? (Settings->System->About on Windows)
    * Is the application directory getting created? (C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds)

I'll also point Ryan to this thread, so that he can ask questions and take a look.

Regards,
    JPG

I just had a problem with my Windows computer and refreshed the system (and then attempted to re-install FGU) and it too is exhibiting this behaviour.
    When I attempt to run the updater (which shows up at version 0.33) it is extremely slow to accept input of the key and crashes after about a minute regardless.

Application directory is being created but no application but the updater.

Prior to my system refresh, the install went perfectly.
    My next step will be to try installing FG classic and then re-attempting FGU (just in case that helps).

New, fresh Windows install on SSD. 24 GB ram. Downloaded Webinstall at 06:12 Am GMT+1.

Installer runs, then tries to run updater. No luck, it creates the directories but doesn't do anything else. I have FGC installed as well if that makes any diffrence.

- Obe
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Quote Originally Posted by jfotos View Post
    See title. The C++ install window gives me an error that I already have the product installed. After installation, there is no exe in the folder to run the program. The updater opens, does not show any update progress and abruptly closes. I have tried installing multiple times, and running both the setup exe and the updater as administrator. I even tried running the vc_dist.x64.exe as admin as well. Nothing works.

Anyone else with this issue? I saw there was another thread like this, but that one did not mention the C++ redist not working so I made a different one so that it wouldn't get buried.

Thanks
    Hey there!

I've made a sticky post about some of the latest updater issues, including some of the redistributable troubles.

Please keep an eye over there. I've made a new build of the updater that gives the option to continue installation of FGU should the C++ install fail, though I've also made some updates that should help with that step.
    With the latest installer for sure, vc_dist.x64.exe should not stick around in the install folder after installation is complete (And even if the redist install fails, it's set to be deleted), so if you still see that behavior with the latest installer, please let me know!

Thread Information