Starfinder Playlist

Party movement on exploration map vs battle map

I am DMing the LMoP module, new DM and new to FG, but really enjoying both at the moment. I have been using the exploration maps provided as battle maps as well. so for example, I use the map of cragmaw cave (player version) as the battle map. My question is, do you typically use PC tokens and track their movement on these exploration maps? or do you just use the exploration map as a sort of visual reference and only place the PC tokens on map during combat? I am having some difficulty with the party moving and exploring the dungeon. Thus far I have been slowly unmasking the area as they progress little by little using their tokens, however this did cause exploring to be a bit "unorganized." I was considering just making a "party" token to represent the group and have them move this around as they explore, then use individual PC tokens once combat occurs. What do other DM's do or how do you handle this? I realize part of the issue is my "DMing skills" since I am new.

Welcome to FG OGvarus.

I don't personally track movement on overland maps with anything but you may want to. If you do you'll need to place a grid on the overland maps since there isn't one by default.

As for battlemaps, yes as the PCs move I unmask the area as they explore. I lock the tokens (right click on a token and select lock tokens) so that means I need to approve the move. In this way I can reveal the area as and when needed. If you don't lock tokens then the players can move their tokens all over the place and that will give you problems keeping up.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Everyone will do this their own way.
    In lots of old school adventures with big long corridors etc I avoid the party moving their tokens for every step but in newer adventure they do tend to.

I myself use a party token when traveling on the large overland maps.. with hex grid installed. Such as the sword coast map in LMoP (travelling from one place to another). On the smaller battle maps (Cragmaw Cave)I let my players move where they want with tokens locked. I do this rather than a party token on smaller areas so you don't have to go thru who is where when it all goes bad. its an ever changing dynamic in the smaller areas anyway. also on the larger maps I use shared pinned(green) notes on what they may have discovered on their journeys.

*************** The only constant in the universe is change. *****************

Thanks for the replies, such a helpful community! How do you make the green pins?

Quote Originally Posted by OGvarus View Post
    Thanks for the replies, such a helpful community! How do you make the green pins?
    Welcome to FG.

If you right click on a pin you can select to "share" the pin link with your players. That turns the pin "green".
    "Time is an illusion...lunch time doubly so."

Right click on the pin and select share.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Keep in mind that a shared pin shows all information on it to the players.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    I use a "party" token on overland maps that we are going to use for awhile (such as on a mega dungeon overview map). But on more impromptu maps I just use a circle pointer, either one I make or one of the players does.
    Party.png
    Edit: that image is CC0 licensed that I found online.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I use a "party" token on overland maps that we are going to use for awhile (such as on a mega dungeon overview map). But on more impromptu maps I just use a circle pointer, either one I make or one of the players does.
    Party.png
    Edit: that image is CC0 licensed that I found online.
    >.>

<.<

>.>

*yoink*

*flee*

Thread Information