DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Seeking Advise - I want to run a campaign while I continue to convert it from a PDF.

I am in the process of converting Tegel Manor (5E update done by FGG). I would like to run this as a campaign while building ahead of where the player are currently.

A couple of questions -

1 - Is this recommended to try at all (so far it seems to be working).
    2 - What is the best way to handle this?
    a - Build in a Build version of the campaign, then a few days before the next session - convert to a mod, upload mod to playing campaign (overwrite mod with changes...)
    b - other recommendations?

Ultimately this will be quite large - the book is +/- 250 pages. I may break it into sub-modules for different portions (i.e. tegel village, the monastary, the temple of Frigga, etc...)

Please provide recommendations - I am fairly new to FG but am loving it so far....

I do this all the time with dmsguild products that don't have FG modules, but I don't do it as formally as you're suggesting because I don't have a lot of time.

Most of the story elements, I don't actually need to be in FG, I can just read them from the PDF directly. Only the creatures, maps, and items actually need to be in FG. So I just create those in FG. If you have creature dialog or location descriptions you want to share with PCs into chat, then I recommend doing a story page and copy/pasting into it then formatting so you can do a single click and it appears in chat. I should but am too lazy to create a module and load it, I just keep stockpiling creatures and items into a growing list so I have it handy for any adlibbing I need.

As GavinRuneblade says you dont need all the text, just have the pdf open as you go. Just put in the Maps,Encounters,items and creatures.
    I may cut 'n' paste room descs into the maps on pins but I certainly dont put all the background fluff in and stuff

Also dont do the whole thing as one campaign module break it up into parts so while your players are on part One your working on Part two, and so on.
    ALso having ONE campaign module will make FG struggle as the module grows in size so yeah break it up.

I certainly dont bother to create a mod and up loaded it into a "shell" as such. While I can see some advantages to this approach it would be alot of work for little gain.
    and again if you had all the previous modules open as well FG may start to chug.
    Last edited by Willot; February 10th, 2020 at 06:13.
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Blog Entries
    If you are not going to re-run it do as the good people above suggest.
    If you are going to re-run it then build it in one or more separate campaigns that are specifically for building only, and export the module out and load the module into your live/game campaign.

I've done the 2a approach several times, and it's always worked really well for me. Essentially, I have a campaign that simply contains the PCs, and then I have every adventure (or location) as a module - so I only have the modules that I need open at any one time. I can then build the current adventure ahead of the players, in its own campaign, and export it for a playing session. Exporting is very quick!

Quote Originally Posted by GavinRuneblade View Post
    I do this all the time with dmsguild products that don't have FG modules, but I don't do it as formally as you're suggesting because I don't have a lot of time.

Most of the story elements, I don't actually need to be in FG, I can just read them from the PDF directly. Only the creatures, maps, and items actually need to be in FG. So I just create those in FG. If you have creature dialog or location descriptions you want to share with PCs into chat, then I recommend doing a story page and copy/pasting into it then formatting so you can do a single click and it appears in chat. I should but am too lazy to create a module and load it, I just keep stockpiling creatures and items into a growing list so I have it handy for any adlibbing I need.
    I appreciate your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Willot View Post
    Also dont do the whole thing as one campaign module break it up into parts so while your players are on part One your working on Part two, and so on.
    ALso having ONE campaign module will make FG struggle as the module grows in size so yeah break it up.

I certainly dont bother to create a mod and up loaded it into a "shell" as such. While I can see some advantages to this approach it would be alot of work for little gain.
    and again if you had all the previous modules open as well FG may start to chug.
    This is what I was thinking - why I would break it up into sections.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    If you are not going to re-run it do as the good people above suggest.
    If you are going to re-run it then build it in one or more separate campaigns that are specifically for building only, and export the module out and load the module into your live/game campaign.
    I intend to run this multiple times - already setting up a second group to run through it in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    I've done the 2a approach several times, and it's always worked really well for me. Essentially, I have a campaign that simply contains the PCs, and then I have every adventure (or location) as a module - so I only have the modules that I need open at any one time. I can then build the current adventure ahead of the players, in its own campaign, and export it for a playing session. Exporting is very quick!
    This is exactly what I was thinking - I assume you use a different Build name for each adventure/location - to help keep it all organized - is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Valdemar View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking - I assume you use a different Build name for each adventure/location - to help keep it all organized - is this correct?
    You can if you wanted to or simply have one creation campaign which you add to over time. Eventually all of the campaign will then be in one module.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information