5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Story Template Updates

Have there been any additional features added to story templates since the day of their debut?

I created an ENORMOUS mod with them awhile back, and I am ready to double down on that and really make it incredible. However, I made the original mod RIGHT after the story template feature was introduced, so I don't want to miss out on any new tricks that may have been implemented since then! I really hope "referencing the outcome of tables embedded within tables" is one of those features, as it was my most requested back then, but that would be ridiculous if it is

Nope. Story Templates have not changed in any way since initial release.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

OK! Thanks for the reply- I went ahead and published a big update to my "Content Generator 2017" mod tonight, aptly titled "Content Generator 2020"

It uses the bejeesus out of story templates, so it was awesome to know I wasn't missing out on any features as I did the update!

So, I really could use this functionality... like ALL over the place. Is there a way to do this?
    The "Is this possible?" Story Template is accompanied by a mock-up of what I am after as a result, and the tables above show the hierarchy I am attempting to reach into for a table reference.

Story Template question.JPG

Not really; at least not neatly.

You can't retain a variable from a table which is useable in another table - which is what you really want. So you would roll on the male/female table and that would then know which table to roll on next.

The only way to do this at the moment is to have the first table call child tables and as you know that messes up the formatting of the template. To avoid that you need two templates one for male and one for female that calls all the information in such a way that there are no child tables. Another possible method if you want to randomise the sex is to create a male/female table and link the male and female templates to the result and then use that template as above.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for the reply! This limitation has way more implications than just gender- If I want random race chosen, then random RACE APPROPRIATE names chosen, I run into the same issue. Same with cities and details dependent on other random variables etc, etc.

This... might be possible via an extension though, huh? God I can't imagine learning lua just to pull this off lol...

Thread Information