STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    If you're loading a windowclass dynamically, you're already running an extension and can define it statically. If you need to be able to swap out controls within a windowinstance, you can already do that with createControl/destroy APIs. Also, you can use subwindows with getValue/setValue to swap in sub-window displays.

Regards,
    JPG

I fully acknowledge this, however I cannot create a windowclass dynamically ... I MUST create the windowclass in an xml file to be able to access it within code ... or have I misunderstood that?
    Thanks In Advance,
    D

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaTeddy View Post
    It would be so much easier if you could load a WindowClass dynamically during runtime.
    A lot of CoreRPG based rulesets are moving towards using subwindows to do this. A good example of this is the "item" main windowclass in the 5E ruleset campaign\record_item.xml

Look in the 5E ruleset - there are two subwindows in the "item_main" windowclass, <sub_column name="type_stats" /> and <sub_column name="type_lists" /> - with various different windowclasses being loaded into these based in item_main.lua, the type_stats subwindow has 5 different possible windowclasses being loaded (one at any point in time) plus a blank.
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 20th, 2023 at 22:41.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

@Trenloe ... I like a lot of the changes to CoreRPG and FGU in general in the most recent updates.

Just waiting for the day that the engine and rulesets (CoreRPG) are fully divorced from each other (when you create a ruleset not based on CoreRPG you are greeted with a giant list of errors because certain things are not defined).
    Thanks In Advance,
    D

Just waiting for the day that the engine and rulesets (CoreRPG) are fully divorced from each other (when you create a ruleset not based on CoreRPG you are greeted with a giant list of errors because certain things are not defined).
    Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen. The assumption is that you build on CoreRPG - creating a ruleset that is not based on CoreRPG won't gain any new functionality as CoreRPG is updated and you'll get to a point where the ruleset is pretty much stagnant and purely in maintenance mode - I had this with the FG Classic Star Wars EotE ruleset - over time it was missing lots of cool new CoreRPG functionality, that I would have had to spend many hours to reverse engineer into the Star Wars ruleset, and then moving that ruleset to FGU would have required over a hundred hours of work just to get it FGU compatible - so the ruleset as it was then died. Luckily other community members picked up the torch and have created a great replacement to run in FGU, based on CoreRPG.

I don't think I'd ever consider building a ruleset that isn't based on CoreRPG. What's your thinking behind wanting to do that?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I have been tinkering with a table top board deck building game that my group plays. Currently we ignore the extra functionality that we do not need (like the combat tracker), its really just a cosmetic thing.
    Thanks In Advance,
    D

Blog Entries
    I have been tinkering with a table top board deck building game that my group plays. Currently we ignore the extra functionality that we do not need (like the combat tracker), its really just a cosmetic thing.
    Sounds like someday there could be a CoreBoard ruleset

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

LOL ... it is nothing big deal ... just a couple of decks of cards ... and the decks for each player that start with specific cards and build as the game goes on.

The "issue" that is very manual at this time is the mission system that changes some basic rules/setup for the game.

Anyways the tools are there, just "too many" - however FGU was designed as a TTRPG tabletop and hence my comment about divorce of Ruleset vs System. In fact I honestly think that instead of CoreRPG itself, the components like Chat System, Combat Tracker, etc should be separated out to allow people to "roll their own" Ruleset.

I have clearly thought about this too much ... ignore me.
    Thanks In Advance,
    D

Yes that is what is being done right now ... but I wonder if loading times and speed would be improved if they did not exist in the first place.

As I have mentioned, it is all good, just a bit crude looking at the moment.
    Thanks In Advance,
    D

Thread Information